Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 48 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 44 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

my giant cannon. not really getto

Built a combustion cannon? Then post it here! This section is for completed, finished cannons that you have built. Please include pictures and information.
Sponsored 

How much do you like it ?

Total nube
No votes
Not so good
No votes
Decent
100%
Sweet
No votes
Awsome
No votes

Total votes : 3
  • Author
my giant cannon. not really getto

Unread postAuthor: vblock » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:11 pm

hows it going guys ? I hope im doing this right im not so good on the computer but my cannon seams decent . here is some specs. Chamber size. 4"x48" abs. only because i have had bad experinces with pvc :x . the barrle is 1 1/4 with 3 sections for easy transport to 3 foot pieces and a 2 footer to finish er off . the spark gap is just 3 bolts to form the gap and a electric bbq inginiter modded to use a seprate battery pack normals 1 AA but with to in series i get twice as fast shots with better sparks . it has a 3 1/2 " fan i think no quite shure. i think it takes about 55 psi i forget and the meter is ran off a bernzomatic torch modded to do the job all i do is turn it on when the psi guage reads 55 i close the ball valve and turn it off. i think im only getin about 150 yards to be truthfull and im told im splittin potatos. what you think ?

Attachments
SNC00189.jpg
SNC00199.jpg
SNC00199.jpg
SNC00189.jpg
SNC00190.jpg
SNC00195.jpg
SNC00197.jpg
SNC00199.jpg
SNC00200.jpg
Last edited by vblock on Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:43 pm, edited 7 times in total.

vblock
Private
Private

Re: my giant cannon. not really getto

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:15 pm

vblock wrote:my pictures are to big :( how do i fix this

Open them with Paint Image

Click on "Image" on the toolbar then "Stretch/Skew"

Change "Horizontal" and "Vertical" to 50% isnead of 100%

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: vblock » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:19 pm

thanks alot man ill upload some then

welll what does everyone think ;D. what you think my range will be ?

Edited by jrrdw.

vblock
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:31 pm

Not a bad effort :) in terms of performance, if it's range you want then potatoes are the worst possibly ammunition - low density, poor aerodynamic shape and no stability.

For maximum range, you'll need to make some sort of saboted dart along these lines:

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: deathbyDWV » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:37 pm

Looks good. Just be careful. Give us some damage pics soon!

Life's too short to mark off the items on your wish list...
deathbyDWV
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:59 pm

You definitely need more than one spark gap for that chamber.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: vblock » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:49 pm

thanks alot man :) ill think about that . and haha ill try but the one gap seams to spark well spud blaster in the cold it takes 3 three seconds to fire ? with decent ammo hows 200 yards ? is it too big you guys think ? i dont reallly know what to expect with this gun

vblock
Private
Private

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: McCoytheGreater » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:53 pm

SpudBlaster15 wrote:You definitely need more than one spark gap for that chamber.

Mike from UltimateSpudgun has a theory that I want to experiment with. He claims it works on larger spudguns (like this one and our ME1-05H). Put the spark gap at the very back. This will cause two pressure waves, right? Right. as the pressure wave moves forward toward the barrel the gasses compress creating a quasi-hybrid effect which detonates the gas. I haven't tested it on our gun, but as soon as I can I will. Remember, this is for large/long chambered guns...like yours. have fun. Looks good! I'm really digging the ABS. Are you going to make a shroud for the MAPP tank...you know...just for aesthetic purposes? that would be cool.

McCoytheGreater
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: vblock » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:34 pm

well im not shure actuly im not a fan of the shrouds not shure why . do you think i should paint it ?. and yeah i have only shot it twice at about -30 outisde i noticed it was very quite when it shot and the potatos didnt go more them 150 yards

vblock
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: Insomniac » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:43 pm

If you continue running that sparker at twice it's rated voltage, chances are it won't last too long. I'd reccommend that you go back to 1 AA, as it should only require one spark to ignite anyway. Depending on the circuit, if you put the 2 AA's in parallel you may get a slightly higher spark rate as they will be able to deliver more current and this should be safer than running it at a higher voltage.

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges.
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.

Add me on msn!!! insomniac-55@hotmail.com
Insomniac
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Moonbogg » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:14 am

maybe the barrel connections are causing the spuds to split.

Moonbogg
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: vblock » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:35 am

that could be. im not very shure but i dont think i can afford another one for awhile . the barrels touch almost perfectley tho

vblock
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: CpTn_lAw » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:52 am

McCoytheGreater wrote:
SpudBlaster15 wrote:You definitely need more than one spark gap for that chamber.

Mike from UltimateSpudgun has a theory that I want to experiment with. He claims it works on larger spudguns (like this one and our ME1-05H). Put the spark gap at the very back. This will cause two pressure waves, right? Right. as the pressure wave moves forward toward the barrel the gasses compress creating a quasi-hybrid effect WHICH DETONATES THE GAS . I haven't tested it on our gun, but as soon as I can I will. Remember, this is for large/long chambered guns...like yours. have fun. Looks good! I'm really digging the ABS. Are you going to make a shroud for the MAPP tank...you know...just for aesthetic purposes? that would be cool.

I'm not sure You actually wanna detonate a gas, that is unless your cannon is stainless steel, with 1" wall thickness. The detonation in a chamber is not dangerous by the pressure itself, it's the rapid spike that makes it not suitable at all.
Plus, what you're telling here sounds a bit like a light-gas gun. The piston being the pressure wave at the back. Again, you're not going to get that much power. The excess you might get would result from a (maybe) better burn of the gas mixutre.

"J'mets mes pieds où j'veux, et c'est souvent dans la gueule."
CpTn_lAw
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: vblock » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:45 pm

haha i just realized the battery pack was still gettin held on with the maskin tape waitin for the epoxy to dry

vblock
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: vblock » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:55 pm

how do i put up a preview ?? sorry im not good with computers

vblock
Private
Private

Return to Combustion Cannon Database