Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 41 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 38 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Ignition types

Built a combustion cannon? Then post it here! This section is for completed, finished cannons that you have built. Please include pictures and information.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Ignition types

Unread postAuthor: Potato Demon » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:04 pm

Hi, I was wondering what the best ignition (other than a stun gun) is for spud guns. I generally use 2 nails and the piezoelectric thing from a bbq lighter but I have heard that grill igniters work better. So if anyone knows of any other (under $20 ideally) ignition sources please let me know.

The weird thing is my only source of compressed air is a bike pump!

Potato Demon
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Ignition types

Unread postAuthor: keks2033 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:29 am

Potato Demon wrote:Hi, I was wondering what the best ignition (other than a stun gun) is for spud guns. I generally use 2 nails and the piezoelectric thing from a bbq lighter but I have heard that grill igniters work better. So if anyone knows of any other (under $20 ideally) ignition sources please let me know.

Image it is a gas lighter, it works on 220 volts. This is the best initiator I have used, it ignites almost any mixture. I need a battery, a boost converter and a capacitor, I took this circuit from the old camera.price about 1.5 dollars
Image there are still lighters. Powered by batteries, provides continuous spark while the button is pressed. Also a good initiator, but a spark is weak. Price 1 dollar

keks2033
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: Potato Demon » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:55 pm

I might just go ahead and modify a cheap arc lighter.

The weird thing is my only source of compressed air is a bike pump!

Potato Demon
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread postAuthor: Labtecpower » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:05 am

Labtecpower
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jimmy101 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:34 am

Potato Demon wrote:Hi, I was wondering what the best ignition (other than a stun gun) is for spud guns. I generally use 2 nails and the piezoelectric thing from a bbq lighter but I have heard that grill igniters work better. So if anyone knows of any other (under $20 ideally) ignition sources please let me know.
"Work Better" is misleading. Either the spark works or it does not. Not working is a PITA but even a cheapo piezo, if setup correctly, will work basically all the time if the mixture is correct. A hotter spark won't increase the power of the gun.

The only times a more complex sparker might be needed is if you use multiple spark gaps or you are doing a hybrid.

For a combustion, the most important thing is getting the mixture right. Everything else is pretty much irrelevant if you can't get the right amount of fuel in the chamber.

jimmy101
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Return to Combustion Cannon Database