Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 44 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 40 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Built this yesterday, look!

Built a combustion cannon? Then post it here! This section is for completed, finished cannons that you have built. Please include pictures and information.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: Killjoy » Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:25 pm

The combined IQ of the 2 posters above me is bordering that of my dog.

Your dog must have a very high IQ then, smart ass.
Abs glue is not made to bind the two parent materials together to hold pressure (even though like pvc cement, it does fuse them), while pvc cement on the other hand is. From what ive heard both cements work on either pipe effectively, and seeing as abs pipe is almost always used in combustion cannons (as it is prone to failure with pneumatics), which is a very low pressure environment, it doesn't really matter.
You said that youv'e tested it with oxy/mapp, thats fine and it shows the durability of ABS and its solvent welds, but it is rare for somone to try that with an ABS combustion cannon, or a PVC combustion cannon for that matter. Generaly its hairspray, propane or mapp. All of which generally do not produce a very high combustion pressure.
As you said, you should use the correct cement for its listed pipe, but it won't make a huge difference if you use PVC cement or ABS glue.
Gattling gun,
what are you using to ignite the fuel? I saw two screws on the chamber so im assuming a bbq ignitor.

Killjoy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:33 pm

Killjoy wrote:From what ive heard

Indeed. Your entire argument is based on what you have heard. Should you have actually tried any of what you claim, we wouldn't be debating this matter. Thanks for changing your opinion on the bonding process, though.

Cementing ABS pipe together using PVC cement is slightly more effective than joining the pipes with pure solvent. I have attempted it, and the finished joint could easily be separated by a moderate blow from a hammer.

PVC and ABS have very different solubilities in ketone solvents, with ABS being more soluble. As the solvent evaporates from a proper ABS solvent weld, the polymers intertwine. However, a different case exists if you attempt to join ABS with PVC cement. As the solvent evaporates, the PVC polymers will come out of solution before the ABS polymers, preventing them from properly fusing.

NEVER mix different solvent cements and pipe.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Killjoy » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:30 pm

Yes i will admit, i was wrong on the bonding process. I did some research and realized what i had been told before was wrong (not by any one here).
However, yes my argument is partly based on what ive heard, but it is also based on what ive seen and experienced. Ive held a friends ABS cannon when the combustion chamber seperated from the reducer, and it was glued with ABS glue. I built mine using PVC cement and had no problems. But it doesn't matter, your right, It's better to use ABS glue with ABS pipe and PVC cement with PVC pipe and not mix the two.

Killjoy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: super spuder » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:09 pm

make sure you you lots of glue to. my pneumatic cannon blow in half twice cause i did not put enough glue on it :x

super spuder
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:46 pm

Killjoy wrote:Ive held a friends ABS cannon when the combustion chamber seperated from the reducer, and it was glued with ABS glue.

Keep in mind that improper gluing technique can negate any potential bonding strength a solvent cement can have. I have witnessed an identical occurrence, which was a result of inadequate saturation of the joint.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Previous

Return to Combustion Cannon Database