Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 49 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 44 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Advanced combustion launcher - Resurrected

Built a combustion cannon? Then post it here! This section is for completed, finished cannons that you have built. Please include pictures and information.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Advanced combustion launcher - Resurrected

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:53 pm

After having my advanced combustion launcher blow up my hands, I was deterred from plastic cannons for some time. Recently, after discovering the true nature of the failure in my old cannon, I decided to rebuild it, and take my mistakes as lessons.

New features:
- New 220ci chamber, which replaces the 300ci chamber that I believe actually decreased performance.
- Chamber constructed using more double layered plastic, especially around the propane meter attachment.
- Camping fan w/remote switch, mounted in the end cap.
- Only 3 holes drilled into the chamber in total, all through double layered plastic.
- Unique electrodes that allow the holes to be drilled into the rear where the plastic is double layered, but center the spark lengthwise in the chamber.

Features carried over:
- 8ft long, 1.5" diameter barrel
- Cam lock breech loading
- Unregulated propane metering
- Ball valve venting
- Steel barrel ring supports w/cloth lining
- etc.

I decided to screw the whole "concealed wiring" appearance that I had attempted to create with my last combustion launcher, as this reduced the "technical" appearance, made the wiring much more difficult to service, and most importantly, contributed to the chamber failure. The wire used has 3mm thick insulation, so the launcher could easily handle a stun gun, but the piezoelectric BBQ igniter works just fine.

Pictures

The whole launcher.

The wiring. Note that the propane meter fitting is not flush with the chamber. I believe the 4 heavy turns I made to get the meter flush with the chamber of the original gun created the stress fractures that propagated from the propane meter hole in 8 directions.

The fan setup. In previous instances where I used camping fans in combustion launchers, I used an external battery pack to power them. This time, I simply bypassed the switch, and left the batteries within the fan. Saves a lot of room and hassle.

The chamber.

Let me know what you think of this version of the launcher, as compared to previous versions. Thanks for viewing.

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=yoaFbsxHdPc[/youtube]

Last edited by SpudBlaster15 on Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: mopherman » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:57 pm

Very nice, i love that you payed attention to safety in this one. 5*****

searching for a modern day savior from another place,inclined toward charity,everyone's begging for an answer,without regard to validity,the searching never ends,it goes on and on for eternity
-Bad religion
mopherman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: noname » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:58 pm

Hopefully this one won't fail, good job.
I only have one minor complaint (maybe I'm just nitpicking): all of your combustion launchers look the same. :?

noname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: mopherman » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:00 am

noname wrote:Hopefully this one won't fail, good job.
I only have one minor complaint (maybe I'm just nitpicking): all of your combustion launchers look the same. :?

Hey, if it aint broke dont fix it! :D

searching for a modern day savior from another place,inclined toward charity,everyone's begging for an answer,without regard to validity,the searching never ends,it goes on and on for eternity
-Bad religion
mopherman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:02 am

Thanks guys. :D

Yeah, they all look the same, but I cannot conceive a design that is more effective than this in terms of portability, power, easy of use, cost, etc.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Modderxtrordanare » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:52 am

I'm lovin the cam-locks. *wishes he had a set*

Nice cannon, I hope this one survives. :( It looks awesome, and the extra precaution while building it makes it more goodly.

Spudding since '05. Proud waster of plumbing and plumbing accessories.

-Wiki
-How-To: Modding a Sprinkler Valve
Modderxtrordanare
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Redcoat » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:44 am

THat is a nice gun but first of all, how far can it shoot?

And a video would be awesome i haven't seen to many that involve these types of advanced combustions.Good Job Nice.

Happy SPuddin'

Poo.
Redcoat
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: dauphinoise potato » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:00 am

Nice cannon, have you fired it yet? Looks sweet. :headbang:

It's all a bunch of tree huggin' hippie crap!
dauphinoise potato
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: frankrede » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:22 am

Beautiful.
I am really liking that fan setup.
Is that a abs threaded plug?

Current project: Afghanistan deployment
frankrede
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:22 am

Modder: Thanks, I hope it survives as well. :D I believe it will, as I have uncovered every potential cause of my other launcher's failure.

Redcoat: I made a video of my other advanced combustion launcher, before it blew up. I am too lazy to find the link, so search Youtube for UPCL-495CI.

I think it will fire the same distance my other launcher fired, which is about 250 - 275 yards given a good launch angle.

Dauphinoise: No, I haven't fired it yet, and if you look closely, you can see that I need to buy a hose barb to connect the meter pipe to the propane hose. I am about to bike the 6 miles to the hardware store now.

Frankrede: Yep.

SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: SnowFlox » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:59 am

looks very nice !! too bad other one blew up !

SnowFlox
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread postAuthor: Blackett » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:13 am

I really like the way this looks, but one thing just stands out to me.

did you use the 1:1.5 ratio? your barrel seems awful large for 1.5" or(i'm assuming thats what it is) to both compensate for chamber size as well as the space in the u bend.

Blackett
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:50 am

The barrel is ~85 inches long, which gives it a volume of ~170 cubic inches. The chamber has a volume of ~250 cubic inches, including the elbows (I'm not sure why everyone assumes that the elbows don't contribute to chamber volume). This gives it a ratio of 1.47:1, which is WAY too large (it should be closer to 0.8:1 for maximum performance) but I don't want to use a 13 foot barrel just to squeeze an extra 40 - 50fps out of the launcher.

SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Blackett » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:58 pm

you did your math, but I would have just used a larger barrel size. with the u bend design you cant really have to small of a chamber or else your propane tank sticks out all funky like.

nice gun btw :lol:

Blackett
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: DirtyDan » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:27 pm

looks like a pretty sweet gun... love the cam-locks... only wish I woulda thought to put em on my gun when I was making it... cuz maybe it's just me, but my barrel can be a real [female doggy] to unscrew sometimes...

anyways, awesome gun man...

DirtyDan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Next

Return to Combustion Cannon Database