Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 86 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 82 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Safe to spray paint PVC?

Post questions and info about combustion (flammable vapor) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about fuels, ratios, ignition systems, safety, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Safe to spray paint PVC?

Unread postAuthor: blowitup » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:18 pm

So I'm using plans from this magazine to make my first combustion spud gun, so I know everything I'm doing is safe except for one addition of my own, strictly aesthetic: spray painting the lackluster white with printed numbers PVC piping I am using to make the body. I have heard of certain plastics being not OK to spray paint because they can become brittle and easily damaged and cracked. I know that for a cumbustion spudder it is vital to use good condition PVC with no cracks or damages for safety and performance reasons. My question is, will this happen to PVC if spray painted? or should i just leave it white? (I will be using PVC primer and cement, if this holds any importance.)

blowitup
Private
Private

Re: Safe to spray paint PVC?

Unread postAuthor: Modderxtrordanare » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:21 pm

blowitup wrote:So I'm using plans from this magazine to make my first combustion spud gun, so I know everything I'm doing is safe except for one addition of my own, strictly aesthetic: spray painting the lackluster white with printed numbers PVC piping I am using to make the body. I have heard of certain plastics being not OK to spray paint because they can become brittle and easily damaged and cracked. I know that for a cumbustion spudder it is vital to use good condition PVC with no cracks or damages for safety and performance reasons. My question is, will this happen to PVC if spray painted? or should i just leave it white? (I will be using PVC primer and cement, if this holds any importance.)

You can paint it, I personally prefer to use Krylon Fusion paint (it's for plastics) but any spraypaint works fine really. As long as there isn't any paint on the joints, you'll be fine.

I would reccomend just painting it after it has been all glued together and cured for 24 hours.

Spudding since '05. Proud waster of plumbing and plumbing accessories.

-Wiki
-How-To: Modding a Sprinkler Valve
Modderxtrordanare
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: paaiyan » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:23 pm

Yea, they make spraypaint for plastics. Modder, why not on the joints? Will it react with the primer or something? Or do you just mean joints that move?

"Who ever said the pen was mightier than the sword, obviously, never encountered automatic weapons."
-General Douglass MacArthur

Read my dog's blog - Life of Kilo
paaiyan
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: PCGUY » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:33 pm

I think he means joints that move... I have sprayed primer fine.

Use Krylon Fusion, it's the best for this really.

Yes, I am the guy that owns & operates SpudFiles (along with our extremely helpful moderators).
PCGUY
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postAuthor: blowitup » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:38 pm

appreciate the help, going to get started now. thanks guys.

blowitup
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: noname » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:26 am

Paaiyan, I'm pretty sure he meant that there shouldn't be paint on sockets or on the outside of the pipe before you solvent weld them together. That keeps them from bonding correctly and they will blow apart.
Blowitup, make sure that you get a paint that's meant for plastics. I've tried a bunch of wood and metal paints, and most won't stick, even with a coat of primer applied first.

noname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:39 am

The type of paint you want to use does not necessarily have to be intended for use with plastics. It should be an enamel, with a large percentage of acetone or MEK in the solvent base. This will allow it to adhere to the plastic surface. It also helps to sand the surfaces before applying the paint.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Modderxtrordanare » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:16 am

noname wrote:Paaiyan, I'm pretty sure he meant that there shouldn't be paint on sockets or on the outside of the pipe before you solvent weld them together. That keeps them from bonding correctly and they will blow apart.

Yep. :)

Spudding since '05. Proud waster of plumbing and plumbing accessories.

-Wiki
-How-To: Modding a Sprinkler Valve
Modderxtrordanare
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: jimmy101 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:17 pm

The most important thing for painting PVC is to wash it very well before painting.

Dish soap and a green scubber work well.

Wiping it down with mineral spirits or acetone has also be recomended. PVC cleaner (not pvc primer/cleaner) is pretty much 100% acetone.

jimmy101
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: mopherman » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:26 pm

would you mind showing us those plans? we could improve them or double check for safety.

searching for a modern day savior from another place,inclined toward charity,everyone's begging for an answer,without regard to validity,the searching never ends,it goes on and on for eternity
-Bad religion
mopherman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: paaiyan » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:02 pm

Modderxtrordanare wrote:
noname wrote:Paaiyan, I'm pretty sure he meant that there shouldn't be paint on sockets or on the outside of the pipe before you solvent weld them together. That keeps them from bonding correctly and they will blow apart.

Yep. :)

Ooohhh. I get it now. I always just assumed you painted it after you put it together, it just doesn't make sense to me to do it beforehand, so I didn't think about that.

"Who ever said the pen was mightier than the sword, obviously, never encountered automatic weapons."
-General Douglass MacArthur

Read my dog's blog - Life of Kilo
paaiyan
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: sandman » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:11 pm

its ok, your not the only one :P

sandman
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: f.c » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:19 am

ive painted guns before ive but them together but most of them have been strafer's so its not like theres a huge amount of pressure.

f.c
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: TwitchTheAussie » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:58 am

I like the look of an ordinary unpainted spud gun. Looks like it should cheap and scrappy :lol:

Raise your horns if you love metal.
spudgunning is like sex, once you've tasted, you can't wait til next time.
-
CpTn_lAw
TwitchTheAussie
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Acdcmonkey1991 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:51 am

I say leave it white because combustions are better unpainted. But if you want to paint it, I'm sure it would be OK.

VH was awesome!!
Current projects:
C02 Jetpack (CIIJ)
Waterjet vehicle
.177 cal. piston rifle
Acdcmonkey1991
Donating Member
Donating Member

Next

Return to Combustion Cannon Discussion