Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 64 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 60 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

New Loading Method?

Post questions and info about combustion (flammable vapor) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about fuels, ratios, ignition systems, safety, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 

Do you load like this method?

I load like this
No votes
I Don't load like this
No votes

Total votes : 0
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:12 am

CannonCreator I seriously thought you were going to be one of those good new-members that start out well and over time become a good regular member that everyone gets to know.

Obviously I was wrong, seeing as you can't accept the laws of physics.

Please don't be a stubborn moron, you're wrong. Deal with it or i'll have to deal with you.

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: f.c » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:21 am

cannon creator shut up. you don't know crap and don't try to argue with people who obviously know more than you.

f.c
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: jimmy101 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:55 am

This method of fueling has been around for a long time. Search the old Spudtech forum and you'll see it mentioned a couple times.

This method has some problems.

1. The actual boost in chamber pressure depends completely on the static friction between the spud and the barrel. A typical spud in a 2" barrel has something like 10 to 40 pounds of static frictional force. That corresponds to roughly 3 to 13 PSIG. On the low friction end you are only adding 3 PSIG to the 14.7 PSIA that was already in the gun, not much of an increase and probably not worth the effort. On the high friction end you are approaching a 2x hybrid.

2. Combustion guns usually are not well sealed against leaks. Cleanout plugs are notorious for leaking like crazy, expecially if it is removed after every firing. Even a small leak in the cleanout (or around the spud) will vent whatever pressure you managed to build in the gun by raming the spud after fueling.

And, BTW, 1/4 mile (let alone 3/4) with a 36" barrel is BS.

jimmy101
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: CannonCreator » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:58 am

jimmy101 wrote:This method of fueling has been around for a long time. Search the old Spudtech forum and you'll see it mentioned a couple times.

This method has some problems.

1. The actual boost in chamber pressure depends completely on the static friction between the spud and the barrel. A typical spud in a 2" barrel has something like 10 to 40 pounds of static frictional force. That corresponds to roughly 3 to 13 PSIG. On the low friction end you are only adding 3 PSIG to the 14.7 PSIA that was already in the gun, not much of an increase and probably not worth the effort. On the high friction end you are approaching a 2x hybrid.

2. Combustion guns usually are not well sealed against leaks. Cleanout plugs are notorious for leaking like crazy, expecially if it is removed after every firing. Even a small leak in the cleanout (or around the spud) will vent whatever pressure you managed to build in the gun by raming the spud after fueling.

And, BTW, 1/4 mile (let alone 3/4) with a 36" barrel is BS.

Finally!!! I get a answer!!!!

CannonCreator
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:34 am

CannonCreator wrote:Finally!!! I get a answer!!!!

Once again, are you trying to act like a moron?

CannonCreator wrote:I was wondering if this is how everyone else loads there cannons and im just completely oblivious to it, Or if this is someting rarely done.

Did you not notice the 7 other replies to your question on the first page of this thread? (No offense intended to jimmy, as his answer was excellent)

Congratulations, you have been added to my sig!

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: CannonCreator » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:39 pm

SpudBlaster15 wrote:
CannonCreator wrote:Finally!!! I get a answer!!!!

Once again, are you trying to act like a moron?

CannonCreator wrote:I was wondering if this is how everyone else loads there cannons and im just completely oblivious to it, Or if this is someting rarely done.

Did you not notice the 7 other replies to your question on the first page of this thread? (No offense intended to jimmy, as his answer was excellent)

Congratulations, you have been added to my sig!

Those werent answers IDOIT, they were complaints, that theres know way a spud could go 1/4 a mile, Thats not what im asking morons!

Jimmy answered the question!

CannonCreator
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: paaiyan » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:56 pm

DirtyDan wrote:I actually tried this method on my combustion a while ago when it was in the testing phase... it seemed like a pretty sweet idea at the time, and yeah, in the few tests I did using this method it did seem quite a bit louder, but I didn't really have an accurate way to measure the distances I was getting... had a bit more kick to it too if my memory serves me...

I didn't take the time to calculate how much more propane I should have been using so I kinda just estimated, but I would assume that if you calculated how much more air is in the chamber and adjusted your propane meter respectively (using metered propane seems like the only way to possibly take any advantage from this) then you 'might' actually see some more power in your shots... but of course you must take into account that the potato isn't going to give you a perfect seal... probably not even close, so you'll have to take that into consideration when making your calculations.

MrCrowley wrote:I too have also used this method. Un-metered combustions are too unreliable to test like that.

They seem to have answered it.

"Who ever said the pen was mightier than the sword, obviously, never encountered automatic weapons."
-General Douglass MacArthur

Read my dog's blog - Life of Kilo
paaiyan
Major General
Major General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:59 pm

CannonCreator wrote:IDOIT

I suggest you read joannaardway's signature. Insulting your opponent will not win you a debate.

hi wrote:then i would like to say that ive never heard of doing it that way. i think it would work as long as the potato really did fit tight in the barrel. what you are discribing is a very low powered hybrid. i think it would work. id try it but all the combustions i have at the moment are breech loaders.

DYI wrote:Most of the pressure you create will either leak around the potato, or push it back up the barrel.

King_TaTer wrote:i have heard of this method but have never really cared for it. i tend to lean torwards rifled barrels, so you can see why i dont use it . but anyway i suppose this would increase output, but not by much.

_Fnord wrote:This is a good idea for guns using metered propane, but for aerosoles it probably wont make much difference. Cleanout caps tend to leak though

DirtyDan wrote:I actually tried this method on my combustion a while ago when it was in the testing phase... it seemed like a pretty sweet idea at the time, and yeah, in the few tests I did using this method it did seem quite a bit louder, but I didn't really have an accurate way to measure the distances I was getting... had a bit more kick to it too if my memory serves me...

I didn't take the time to calculate how much more propane I should have been using so I kinda just estimated, but I would assume that if you calculated how much more air is in the chamber and adjusted your propane meter respectively (using metered propane seems like the only way to possibly take any advantage from this) then you 'might' actually see some more power in your shots... but of course you must take into account that the potato isn't going to give you a perfect seal... probably not even close, so you'll have to take that into consideration when making your calculations.

Either way, you end up having to muzzle load it, which almost seems like an insult to your cannon after making it a breech loader... not to mention how nice it is 'not' to have to carry around a 6 foot ram rod with you.

Even so, I still think this idea might be worth a deeper look into. As long as you keep a good fuel/air ratio, I don't see how using this method is in any way detrimental, and heck, if your cannon is for some reason a muzzle loader with metered propane then it seems like a pretty sweet idea to me...

MrCrowley wrote:I too have also used this method. Un-metered combustions are too unreliable to test like that.

SpudBlaster15 wrote:CannonCreator, the difference you noticed was most likely a result of the inconsistency of aerosol fueling.

If you had taken the time to read, rather than throwing around insults, maybe you wouldn't have to have a place in my sig.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: paaiyan » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:09 pm

SELECT * FROM users WHERE intelligence < 0

Processing, please wait...

CannonCreator

"Who ever said the pen was mightier than the sword, obviously, never encountered automatic weapons."

paaiyan
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: spanerman » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:12 pm

^ LOL........i bet he failed the IQ test in school

spanerman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: paaiyan » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:14 pm

spanerman wrote:^ LOL........i bet he failed the IQ test in school

I bet he did.

paaiyan
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Intel Xeon » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:26 pm

This is what CannonCreator looks like to me right now. Link

Gadzooks! MMR Rocks.

Intel Xeon
Sergeant
Sergeant

Previous