Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 59 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 55 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Quick venting question(s)

Post questions and info about combustion (flammable vapor) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about fuels, ratios, ignition systems, safety, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Quick venting question(s)

Unread postAuthor: revans » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:47 pm

I am in the process of making a semi-advanced combustion and just was wondering how necessary it is to be able to vent the chamber via a ball valve with a fan. I was planning to follow something like design on Pete Zaria's "Complete Plans" but I cannot find one of the large plastic ball valves that seem to be used cheaply. However I do have a brass 1/4" ball valve which I could thread into the end, this one here:
http://www.topmaq.co.nz/product_detail.aspx?id=AIAC6050
It seems to have quite a small ID though so would this provide enough airflow or is it not worth the effort?
Any answers or alternative suggestions are greatly appreciated. Cheers.

revans
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: MaxuS the 2nd » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:11 pm

You need to properly vent the chamber to allow fresh, unused oxygen in for the reaction to work well.
I don't think 1/4" would be enough. You could always build a 'Quick Vent' System that's been used a few times, and especially on Gort's combustions.

MaxuS the 2nd
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Combustion Cannon Discussion