Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 55 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 50 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

ignition coil -> spark plug

Post questions and info about combustion (flammable vapor) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about fuels, ratios, ignition systems, safety, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
ignition coil -> spark plug

Unread postAuthor: nick753159 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:44 pm

well, I'm trying to wire a new ignition system for my gun, and its not working out that well.
the system has a 9 volt battery, automotive ignition coil, and a spark plug.
I've ran a plug wire from the plug to the center plug on the coil, and then positive/negative wires from the coil to positive/negative on the battery.

i took this off a diagram i found online somewhere. i was planning on wiring a switch in, but first i wanted to test it, so i just quickly touch the positive wire to the battery terminal, but it doesnt do anything.

any help?

EDIT: I believe ive solved the problem. 1 wire also needs to be ran from the spark plug body to the battery. ill check on that tomorrow when its light out.
anyone know why that would make it work?

nick753159
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: shud_b_rite » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:58 pm

Because your sparkplug needs to be earthed. When the plug is screwed into the engine head the threads of the plug are toughing the engine (which is connected to the negative of your car battery) and the ignition lead provides the high voltage which bridges the gap to the earthed side. If your plugs are not earthed then the spark will have no where to go so nothing happens.

Airbeds... so many different uses
shud_b_rite
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: TurboSuper » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:56 am

Also, it probably won't make a spark when you touch it to the battery, but rather when you disconnect it from the battery.

"If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you" - Darwin Awards

TurboSuper
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Matheusilla » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:27 am

You also need a capacitor. I'm pretty sure it gets placed between the coil and the battery on the negative side (earth side, same as spark plug ground). Also, you'll probably need a bigger battery for the automotive coil to work.

Matheusilla
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Return to Combustion Cannon Discussion