Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 45 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 40 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Under over or inline?

Post questions and info about combustion (flammable vapor) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about fuels, ratios, ignition systems, safety, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Under over or inline?

Unread postAuthor: LikimysCrotchus5 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:56 pm

Ok well i am making a large bore combustion with a possible 4 foot chamber of 4" diameter pipe, with interchangeable barrels of 3", and 2".

Now i was just thinking that since this is gonna be somewhat big and have significant mass, im not so sure if i should do a under over design because i dont want any snaps in the U bends (yes i am a believer of using dwv in combustions) so i was wondering if i should just make it inline? If i go with a 2 foot chamber of 4" diameter pipe, would it be safe to make it over under?

Different question: Would it be okay if i used screws to attach a fitting to the pipe? I want to make my cannon serviceable and i want a 2" ball valve for vent, so i had to buy a 4" to 2" flush bushing which has no OD threads. In order to make it serviceable, i would need to use screws. So what do you all think?

4SPC, My 4" piston 3" porting cannon
Memo:
Fix up copper cannon
Fix up 4SPC
Start Stirrup pump
Start Toolies piston bazooka
LikimysCrotchus5
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: SEAKING9006 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:01 pm

Go for it man. We need a bit of inspiration right now, it seems.

Completed projects:
CA1 SMSS Basic Inline
CA3 PDAB Airburst Cannon

Current Project: Bolt action rifle (25x140mm + 1in shot)

SEAKING9006
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: LikimysCrotchus5 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:03 pm

SEAKING9006 wrote:Go for it man. We need a bit of inspiration right now, it seems.

Inline or under over? You have not addressed the question.

Memo:
Fix up copper cannon
Fix up 4SPC
Start Stirrup pump
LikimysCrotchus5
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: SEAKING9006 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:14 pm

Oh, right. :oops:

Well, It depends on what you want, really. If you want it compact, go over-under. I know It sounds childish for me to say that, but hey. DWV is cheap, right? :lol:

Completed projects:
CA1 SMSS Basic Inline
CA3 PDAB Airburst Cannon

Current Project: Bolt action rifle (25x140mm + 1in shot)

SEAKING9006
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: LikimysCrotchus5 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:47 pm

Well its cheaper than NSF-PW.

Memo:
Fix up copper cannon
Fix up 4SPC
Start Stirrup pump
LikimysCrotchus5
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Gippeto » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:22 am

I prefer the looks of the in-line style.

If you were to incorporate a cam-lock setup to attach the barrels, any storage/transportation issues would be resolved, as well as presenting you with the option of using a burst disk like Starman uses.

As far as attaching the fitting to the pipe with screws, I used that method on a 2" tee pneumatic.

Six 1/4 x 20 pan head, phillips drive, screws equally spaced does the trick on mine, you may want to use more with the 4" pipe.(a garbage grade STEEL 1/4 x 20 screw will require more than 200 pounds of force to shear it)

Be sure you drill the holes at least 2 screw diameters from the edge. This will help spread the load carried by the individual screws, and lower the risk of tear out.

Use the proper size drill bit, and tap the holes. Drill, tap, and install the first screw. Then do the rest. Having the screw in place, will keep things aligned.

:)

"It could be that the purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others" – unknown

Liberalism is a mental disorder, reality is it's cure.
Gippeto
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: starman » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:32 am

You won't need 4' of chamber. I would say 2' for a practical max of 4" dia pipe. Plan on at least 2 centrally located spark gaps preferably 3 or 4 for a larger chamber.

I prefer the inline designs although I can see a few over and under advantages, none really performance based....mostly overall size and handling related. However, you can make a nice gun from either type.

It really depends on your goals for performance as to the sizes of things....you are familiar with all this I'm sure. If you haven't already, download HGDT to work your parameters for design.

Take a look at both of my combustions for inline examples.

starman
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: jook13 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:48 pm

I Prefer over unders personally. Like others have said, it compacts the design to allow for a larger chamber and barrel. Imagine a cannon with a 4 foot long chamber and a 7 foot long barrel. the inline would be about 11 foot long, versus the over-under just over 7 foot long. Others like the looks of inline's, but I think the over under looks more complicated and I like that.

I like to play blackjack. I'm not addicted to gambling, I'm addicted to sitting in a semi-circle.
jook13
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: psycix » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:28 am

An over-under design allows you to use longer barrels and therefore, it can have more power.
When using DWV, I'd say stick with an inline, or just spend those few bucks to use NSF-PW.
Surgery is more expensive then pressure rated pipe you know.

Till the day I'm dieing, I'll keep them spuddies flying, 'cause I can!

Spudfiles steam group, join!
psycix
Donating Member
Donating Member

Return to Combustion Cannon Discussion