Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 44 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 40 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Fiberglass reinforcement?

Post questions and info about combustion (flammable vapor) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about fuels, ratios, ignition systems, safety, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: TurboSuper » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:38 am

Gippeto wrote:
TurboSuper wrote:Any metal pipe in 4" dia, be it copper, steel, or aluminium, is going to cost a bloody fortune.

I've been pricing out 4" pipe lately. :wink:

Even low grade steel has a tensile strength of 50 000psi +. (yes, I know that's not a burst rating, rough calculated burst pressure is around 1300psi)

I have found that 4" auger tube can be had for $6/foot.

4" galvanized exhaust pipe costs $10/foot.

Am I out to lunch thinking that is reasonable?

No, I'm just going by the prices I see around here: $50 for a 3" fitting. Youch,

"If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you" - Darwin Awards

TurboSuper
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Gippeto » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:07 pm

D_Hall wrote:
Gippeto wrote:Even low grade steel has a tensile strength of 50 000psi +.

"Mild steel" is typically A36 or very similar. It's called "A36" because it has a tensile strength of 36,000 psi. A42 is also referred to as mild steel from time to time (42,000 psi tensile, of course). But to get up to 50 ksi you're starting to get into steels that shouldn't be classified as "low grade."

I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip!:salute:

I got my info from here; (some time ago, and I should have looked it up again before posting. :oops: )

http://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-infor ... Chart.aspx

I always figured that grade 2 (aka. garbage grade) was the low end for steel strength wise. I guess that I now know better. :)

Turbo, yeah $50 is pretty steep. I'm leaning toward a BigEd/Toolies inspired design, where everything is self fabricated and more cost effective.(cheap!)

"It could be that the purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others" – unknown

Liberalism is a mental disorder, reality is it's cure.
Gippeto
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: D_Hall » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:27 pm

Gippeto wrote:I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip!:salute:

I got my info from here; (some time ago, and I should have looked it up again before posting. :oops: )

http://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-infor ... Chart.aspx

I always figured that grade 2 (aka. garbage grade) was the low end for steel strength wise. I guess that I now know better. :)

Found a nice little graphic on McMaster that might be of use. It's just a quick-look chart showing different steel alloys and their yield strengths (note: things like Tool Steel may go all the way up to 140,000 psi).

As for the bolts (where you got your numbers).... One thing to remember is that nobody wants a bolt that bends (makes it hard to screw in, ya know?). In addition, the parts are physically small. Those two things combined mean that manufacturers can use heat treatment (and quenching) to make the bolts stronger than they would "normally" be.

On the other end of the spectrum, people like to bend pipe and such so hardening isn't necessarily a good thing (remember: harder also means more brittle). And so they don't heat treat/quench.

Or even for parts that don't get bent a lot (say, I-beams), welding will likely destroy any heat treatment so there's just no point in doing it.

Simulation geek (GGDT / HGDT) and designer of Vera.
D_Hall
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Gippeto » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:26 am

One thing to remember is that nobody wants a bolt that bends (makes it hard to screw in, ya know?).

This is why we have BIGGER hammers! :lol:

Thanks for the chart, saved it to my reference file.

"It could be that the purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others" – unknown

Liberalism is a mental disorder, reality is it's cure.
Gippeto
Donating Member
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Combustion Cannon Discussion