Login    Register
User Information
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Who is online

In total there are 77 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 74 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

First spudgun :) Needing ignition help

Post questions and info about combustion (flammable vapor) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about fuels, ratios, ignition systems, safety, and anything else relevant.
  • Author

Unread postAuthor: Silentone » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:56 pm

iisthemuffin wrote:
Silentone wrote:Right i've wired up the Piezo starter.. It sparks fine..

I put in the potato *grin* and did a 2 second spray of deodorant and put on the end cap.. Clicked the piezo but no joy, Any ideas?

Something i can do to make it work? Too much deodorant? Not strong enough spark?

Just toy with the amount of fuel you use. And also make sure the deoderant you are using is actully flamable. Alot of aerosol sprays arent.

Just start with a quick spray and then try to fire. If nothing happens try a little more or less until you get it right.

The deoderant im using contains alcohol, propane, butane which i think i need?

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:
Silentone wrote:Something i can do to make it work? Too much deodorant? Not strong enough spark?

2 seconds sounds like far too much, half a second should suffice as your chamber is relatively small. Also, why deoderant when you can use propane or butane? if anything, use starting fluid ;)

Ill have a shop around and see if i can find it in a local store :)

Tried again with lower amount of deoderant, I think ill try another kind.. The spark is only around 1-3mm given off by the piezo

Unread postAuthor: TurboSuper » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:31 pm

You really have to play with the fuel mixture alot to get it to fire. Don't lose hope and keep at it, I had the same problem :wink:

"If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you" - Darwin Awards

Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Return to Combustion Cannon Discussion