Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 79 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 74 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Here's a semi-auto combustion design...

Post questions and info about combustion (flammable vapor) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about fuels, ratios, ignition systems, safety, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Here's a semi-auto combustion design...

Unread postAuthor: auxiliary » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:23 pm

So this is how it works,
When you pull on the trigger, it is attached to the Delrin hop-up/feeding system so it and the barrel moves back. As it moves back the BB in the barrel is pushed forward until it is between the two o-rings, by the small brass tube mounted on the 1/4in aluminum plate. By the time the BB is between the two o-rings, the back of the trigger will have depressed the push button igniter causing a spark in the chamber.

When the combustion occurs, it will shoot the BB out of the barrel.
Then the hollow metal piston will be pushed back past a small hole that lets in low pressure propane. The piston continues back until is reaches the large vent holes in the copper pipe. Hopefully it will continue to back a bit because of its momentum and weakness of the spring. The exhausted gases blow out the vent holes and as the gases cool, it vacuums in new air from the atmosphere. Once the piston moves forward sealing the vent holes and passing the propane hole (which has been letting in a little bit of gas hopefully the right amount depending on regulation), the gun is armed.

Attachments
Semi auto airsoft combustion.zip
(26 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
auxiliary
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: littlebro05 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:33 pm

Wow, makes me want to build one, btw auxiliery did you draw that up with microsoft paint? cause the file was bitmap. Cause if you did it's very beautfiul, and quite easy to understand.

except for the piston part, I'm assuming it's abit off scale the drawning?

It's Nerf or Nothing.

Don't start crying when I play this as my hobby, Paintball, Airsoft and Nerf are equally good hobbies, except you can play Nerf in public. Good day! Hmph!
littlebro05
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: auxiliary » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:08 pm

Thanks for the complements! The piston is the size it is supposed to be and everything is almost perfectlt to scale (100pixels = 1 in.)

Are there criticisms about my design or is it absolutely perfect (which I doubt).

auxiliary
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:08 am

It's nice, but my main concern is that the piston is unlikely to recoil backwards, and ensure all the combusted gases in the chamber are cleared.

Also, that design will spew propane to atmosphere as the piston recoils. You really need to vent, then fuel.

However, with a good chamber fan, you might sort the first problem, and the second is clearly not insoluble.

Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: auxiliary » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:35 am

If I somehow vented and then fueled using a different sort of mechanism, would the venting idea that I have currently of a piston going past holes in the chamber be sufficient? Also are you basically saying that the combustion in the chamber will be so quick and not provide enough force to move the piston back even if the spring is really weak?

auxiliary
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:12 am

auxiliary wrote:If I somehow vented and then fueled using a different sort of mechanism, would the venting idea that I have currently of a piston going past holes in the chamber be sufficient?

Perhaps, it will depends.

Also are you basically saying that the combustion in the chamber will be so quick and not provide enough force to move the piston back even if the spring is really weak?

Sorry, mistype, it should have said:
"the piston is unlikely to recoil backwards far enough, and allow enough air flow to ensure all the combusted gases in the chamber are cleared."

Sorry, posting fail. :oops:

Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: auxiliary » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:15 pm

Oh okay, because I was worried that I wouldn't be able to utilize a blow back mechanism. You can expect to see more designs from me in the future.

auxiliary
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Antonio » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:53 pm

hey nice design! Btw which program did you use to make this diagram?

Antonio
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: ramses » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:16 pm

I could see a bolt handle on the bolt, as well. the propane, also, has no metering designed into it as far as i can tell. I would suggest a spool valve, as to solve this problem. It will also keep it from "spewing propane to atmosphere." good luck, and which program did you use for the rendering? It looks great.

POLAND_SPUD wrote:even if there was no link I'd know it's a bot because of female name :D
ramses
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: psycix » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:46 pm

Maybe use pressurized air to blow fresh oxygen into the chamber, at the same time that the propane gets in.
Getting the right amount of fuel in would be a little tricky, however.

Till the day I'm dieing, I'll keep them spuddies flying, 'cause I can!

Spudfiles steam group, join!
psycix
Donating Member
Donating Member

Return to Combustion Cannon Discussion