To those of you who avoid a Z anywhere close to the end of a word like it's the plague, what's up with that anyway?...
Well, when deciding what letters to put in a word, Z(ed) was at the end of the list, so by the time we'd got far enough down the alphabet, there were already enough letters.
I don't get why the decision was made to make metre into meter (because it just cues confusion), but then again there are some pretty stupid homonyms/heteronyms:
- Number (1,2,3... OR getting more numb)
- Reading (I am reading a book OR a city in the UK pronounced Red-ding)
- Compact (Compact camera OR Compact waste)
- Read (I like to read OR Yes, I read that book)
- Dear (Dear [Insert name here] OR That must be dear [Expensive])
- Alternate (Alternate identity OR We'll take alternate turns)
- Minute (A unit of time OR something very small)
- Lead (To guide OR the metal)
- Object (A thing OR an act of protest)
- Entrance (A place of entry OR to bewitch)
- Polish (To shine OR A person from Poland)
- Dove (A bird OR I dove off the building)
- Wind (You need to wind the clock OR Looks like the the wind is kicking up a fuss)
... For just a small selection, which can usually be told apart only by context. Ah, the language is royally buggered up anyway.