Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 67 users online :: 7 registered, 0 hidden and 60 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], farcticox1, Google [Bot], Gussmoore, Majestic-12 [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

3" chamber or 4" for advanced combustion

Post questions and info about combustion (flammable vapor) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about fuels, ratios, ignition systems, safety, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
3" chamber or 4" for advanced combustion

Unread postAuthor: jmeyer1022 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:06 am

I already have a fair amount of spare 3" pipe, but I'm thinking a 4 inch chamber would be better due to the C:B ratio on diff barrels. Thoughts?
Also I have the whole guns dimensions setup for 4" chamber already. Not that it takes long just adding more info.

jmeyer1022
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: starman » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:44 am

The ideal chamber would be a sphere with the ignition in the center. 4" offers something closer to a sphere with an otherwise same length of 3" pipe. It also offers twice the chamber space for the same length and thus more energy available to the shot.

I am of the opinion that 4" is your ideal chamber for typical spud sized ammo. 3" for smaller caliber ammo, 1" and below.

starman
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: Radiation » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:09 pm

Like Starman said, 4" for larger ammo like taters and golfballs, smaller for marbles, darts or paintballs. I absolutely love my 3"X14" chamber, but I miss having a golfball type gun, which I will probably build soon.

Oh be warned the gauntlet is starting to show signs of PVC burnage in the neck, it is advicable that if you make a 1" bore that it be easily replaceable. I haven't had any blow outs, but I will eventually need to replace it.

I void warranties.

The Gauntlet of Clara Ann
Radiation
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Return to Combustion Cannon Discussion