Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 47 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 42 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

S.R.B.M. idea

Post questions and info about combustion (flammable vapor) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about fuels, ratios, ignition systems, safety, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
S.R.B.M. idea

Unread postAuthor: deathbyDWV » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:00 pm

In this case S.R.B.M. doesn't stand for short range ballistic missile, but it stands for soda rocket bottle mortar. I was going to take an idea from this guy http://www.instructables.com/id/Gasoline-Powered-Soda-Bottle-Rocket-Launcher.-Desi/ but i wanted to use propane for the fuel and not have an air pump. Do you think it'll have good power at all or not really? I was thinking that his might just work much better because it is (kind of) a hybrid.

Life's too short to mark off the items on your wish list...
deathbyDWV
Colonel
Colonel

Re: S.R.B.M. idea

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:14 pm

deathbyDWV wrote:In this case S.R.B.M. doesn't stand for short range ballistic missile, but it stands for soda rocket bottle mortar. I was going to take an idea from this guy http://www.instructables.com/id/Gasoline-Powered-Soda-Bottle-Rocket-Launcher.-Desi/ but i wanted to use propane for the fuel and not have an air pump. Do you think it'll have good power at all or not really? I was thinking that his might just work much better because it is (kind of) a hybrid.

Propane provides a little less energy than gasoline. Using unpressurized instead of at 40 PSI shown in the video cuts the mass of fuel and oxidizer in the combustion chamber down to about 1/3. You can compensate some for the non pressurized chamber by making it a little larger and using a longer launch tube to accelerate over a longer distance using the lower pressure. In the dimensions given, the power will be considerably lower with propane and air if not under pressure.

Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Return to Combustion Cannon Discussion