Login    Register
User Information
Username:
Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 43 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 39 guests


Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Propane

Post questions and info about combustion (flammable vapor) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about fuels, ratios, ignition systems, safety, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
    Message

Propane

Unread postAuthor: Spudnyk » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:39 pm

Looking to convert to propane any advice on a set up please let me know don't wanna kill myself
  • 0


Spudnyk
Private
Private
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:28 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: niglch » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:02 pm

As long as you use pressure rated pipe you should be fine. It's not really a safety consideration, but I would recommend an off-board meter if you don't want a heavy gun. You also might want to try to find yourself a cheap 1/4" or 1/8" NPT thread tap for your meter to chamber connection. It's not totally necessary but it will make for a neat and tight connection. There are plenty of working designs in the cannon showcase. I would suggest browsing around there for design ideas.
  • 0


niglch
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 116
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:14 pm
Reputation: 0

Re: Propane

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:26 pm

Spudnyk wrote:Looking to convert to propane any advice on a set up please let me know don't wanna kill myself

You're gonna kill yourself unless you stop being lazy and actually do some research for yourself. We can spoonfeed you all day and you still wont understand it as well as if you do the research yourself. Invest time, not only money in to spudguns.

We are not here to spoonfeed lazy members, we are here to discuss and help where we can. So stop being lazy, help yourself and we will help you.

Good place to start is here:
http://www.spudfiles.com/spud_wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Check the combustion showcase forum section, how-to section and the combustion discussion section.
  • 0

User avatar
MrCrowley
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 10207
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:42 pm
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Country: New Zealand (nz)
Reputation: 4

Unread postAuthor: McCoytheGreater » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:02 pm

Schwiiing.

It is pretty easy. Check out the forums, though. Post pics when you're done.
  • 0

Last edited by McCoytheGreater on Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
McCoytheGreater
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 
Posts: 191
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:10 am
Location: Mississippi State
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: cfb_rolley » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:04 am

i'm looking to do the same thing, would sch40 pipe and fittings cut it or would it be a good idea to go to 80?
  • 0

User avatar
cfb_rolley
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:11 pm
Reputation: 5

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:09 am

cfb_rolley wrote:i'm looking to do the same thing, would sch40 pipe and fittings cut it or would it be a good idea to go to 80?

Might want to check this out:
http://www.spudfiles.com/spud_wiki/inde ... sure_rated

The schedule of the PVC has nothing to do with the pressure rating :)
But pressure rated sch40 will be fine.
  • 0

User avatar
MrCrowley
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 10207
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:42 pm
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Country: New Zealand (nz)
Reputation: 4

Unread postAuthor: theBOOM » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:10 am

If your making a propane meter using pvc would probably do, but if you want it to look more bling you could go with steel, it wont cost that much more to upgrade to metal anyway...

Be sure to check out the meter Starman uses on the trip thunder noise cannons.

www.burntlatke.com Also has some good how-to's.
  • 0

User avatar
theBOOM
Major
Major
 
Posts: 374
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:49 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX
Reputation: 0

Sponsored

Sponsor
 


Re: Propane

Unread postAuthor: Spudnyk » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:15 am

MrCrowley wrote:
Spudnyk wrote:Looking to convert to propane any advice on a set up please let me know don't wanna kill myself

You're gonna kill yourself unless you stop being lazy and actually do some research for yourself. We can spoonfeed you all day and you still wont understand it as well as if you do the research yourself. Invest time, not only money in to spudguns.

We are not here to spoonfeed lazy members, we are here to discuss and help where we can. So stop being lazy, help yourself and we will help you.

Good place to start is here:
http://www.spudfiles.com/spud_wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Check the combustion showcase forum section, how-to section and the combustion discussion section.
Thanks man just new in the game I will do more research
  • 0


Spudnyk
Private
Private
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:28 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:13 pm

Yeah I realise you're new, but it's a bit insulting when you ask us for information without doing research. You know the information is here, and it's reasonably easy to find.

Goodluck, remember we will help you with any questions or queries, it's just easier to help you once you know what you're doing.
  • 0

User avatar
MrCrowley
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 10207
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:42 pm
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Country: New Zealand (nz)
Reputation: 4

Thanks

Unread postAuthor: Spudnyk » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:00 pm

MrCrowley wrote:Yeah I realise you're new, but it's a bit insulting when you ask us for information without doing research. You know the information is here, and it's reasonably easy to find.

Goodluck, remember we will help you with any questions or queries, it's just easier to help you once you know what you're doing.


Ok did my research I read that they suggest to use SCH 40 pipe where I live it is very hard to find pressure rated pipe, I've also read that I would be ok using regular PVC because hair spray and other canned products are about 15-20 psi less than propane. I've built a niffty little fuel meter out of brass, pressure regulator and pressure rated hose. If you have any other suggestions let me know Thanks Again
  • 0


Spudnyk
Private
Private
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:28 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:13 pm

Look in the Yellow Pages for plumbing stores and such. In NZ I have to go to a plumbing merchant, who mainly do bathroom and kitchen plumbing but have a huge supply ofpressure rated stuff out back.

You're probably safe using DWV, but it's really up to you. Personally, I wouldn't.
  • 0

User avatar
MrCrowley
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 10207
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:42 pm
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Country: New Zealand (nz)
Reputation: 4

Thanks Again

Unread postAuthor: Spudnyk » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:49 pm

MrCrowley wrote:Look in the Yellow Pages for plumbing stores and such. In NZ I have to go to a plumbing merchant, who mainly do bathroom and kitchen plumbing but have a huge supply ofpressure rated stuff out back.

You're probably safe using DWV, but it's really up to you. Personally, I wouldn't.


Just ordered some pressure rated pipe tried the one I made out of DWV and it works too but I wanna be safe thanks for all the info man
  • 0


Spudnyk
Private
Private
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:28 pm
Reputation: 0

Return to Combustion Cannon Discussion

Who is online

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot]

Reputation System ©'