Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 63 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 59 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

chamber fan mounting

Post questions and info about combustion (flammable vapor) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about fuels, ratios, ignition systems, safety, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
chamber fan mounting

Unread postAuthor: mikespahn » Tue May 11, 2010 4:32 pm

the cannon i'm building has a female endcap and a male bushing on the back of the chamber. i would like to mount the fan in the male bushing but i'd be a little worried about the combustion forcing it backwards and breaking it when it hits the end cap. i also want the fan to be able to be removed without too much trouble for cleaning and maintainance inside the chamber. i could machine something special to hold it there, but before i bother with that, i was wondering if anyone might have a simpler solution. being a machinist i can design and make nearly anything i put my mind to but sometimes there is an easy answer right in front of my face that i don't see.

mikespahn
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: maxa1 » Tue May 11, 2010 4:36 pm

umm if you want it to be able to be removed i would go with screws just make sure it does not move and it should not break the pressure will not last long anough

maxa1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread postAuthor: Moonbogg » Tue May 11, 2010 7:02 pm

I just used a couple dabs of glue to hold mine in place, and its used in a 2x hybrid with no problems. However, in another experiment i used a fan with a pure O2 and propane mix and the fan shattered every single time, first shot. So if you are using air and fuel, the fan should be fine with a few dabs of a good rubber cement glue.

Moonbogg
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: bighead33 » Tue May 11, 2010 9:50 pm

if you are doing an over under design id put a tee where the elbow of the combustion chamber slap on a female adapter and put a check valve

bighead33
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: mikespahn » Thu May 13, 2010 1:05 pm

kind of off topic, but on the site that you just provided a link to, has anyone looked at the rifled barrels page?
where it says
"The only pic of the hallowed rifling machine"
doesn't look so special to me. just looks like an old toolroom lathe with the pipe clamped to the cross-slide and boring tool held in the chuck. just saying, they talk it up like it is something special. i have 2 lathes that are probably just like it, in addition to my 5 CNC lathes (looking to buy a slightly bigger CNC soon too).

mikespahn
Private
Private

Return to Combustion Cannon Discussion