Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 77 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 72 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], mrfoo, MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Searching for pressure rated PVC larger pvc50

Post questions and info about combustion (flammable vapor) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about fuels, ratios, ignition systems, safety, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Searching for pressure rated PVC larger pvc50

Unread postAuthor: cfb_rolley » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:35 am

So, I live in Australia and I'm having some issues trying to find pressure rated PVC pipe and fittings larger than pn8 pvc50 (which is about 65mm I.D). I've looked everywhere and mcmaster won't ship to me for some reason.

I want to build an advanced combustion, with a combustion chamber larger than 65mm I.D, so where should I try looking for larger sizes now? Do larger sizes even exist? Or is there another form of pvc pipe I can look for that will be safe to use?

cfb_rolley
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:04 am

Can you get ABS sewer pipe there? In the US, this DWV seems to hold up well to combustion cannons. I pressure tested some by making an air cannon. You can find my test in my first cannon in my sig.

Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: cfb_rolley » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:24 pm

wow i didn't think ABS was that strong! This will be shoulder mounted, so shattering pvc is not fun. But i guess if ABS can hold 100psi for longer than 30 minutes, and splits rather than shattering it'll take a propane combustion.

I shall start looking for some ABS!

cfb_rolley
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: Gaderelguitarist » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:44 pm

I've had success with UHMW Polyethelyne pipe. Cable companies usually use it as underground conduit so I put on my sneaky pants and swipe a length or two when nobody is around. It is about 1/2" thick, and I've used it very successfully for a combustion chamber. The only difficulty is finding fittings. I generally use 1 1/2" thick pine for plugs and modified pvc fittings for barrel connections.

However, I'm not certain you can find it in Australia. :oops:

so many muchness
Gaderelguitarist
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: cfb_rolley » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:01 pm

well, I've found a length of pip doing some sneaky ninja missions, but it's dwv, i think. on the side it's got this: dwv 100 pvcu sc sn10 as/nzs. not sure what pvcu is, nor if sn10 is like a rating, like pn8 pipe and whatever. but it is the size i'd need.

cfb_rolley
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:11 pm

That is sandwich construction vent pipe made with recycled materials in the core. It is DWV PVC.

Class SN6 and Class SN4 are considered to be suitable for plumbing and domestic use.
Class SN10 and Class SN8 are suitable for general municipal drainage, deeper burial and
similar applications where higher pipe stiffness is required to minimise deflection of the
installed pipes due to the load imposed by the back fill or surcharge or to poor installation
practice.

Plug the pipe printing into Google and look for the product PDF.
http://www.convicaustralia.com.au/convic/products/Drain_Waste_Vent.pdf

Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: cfb_rolley » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:24 pm

ahh bummer, so it's probably still not really good to use in an adv. combustion then...

cfb_rolley
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Sponsored

Sponsor

Return to Combustion Cannon Discussion