Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 63 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 60 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

lubricant as a fuel in a spud gun

Post questions and info about combustion (flammable vapor) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about fuels, ratios, ignition systems, safety, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
lubricant as a fuel in a spud gun

Unread postAuthor: rexw7 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:15 am

Hi Everybody

first i want to thank you guys for helping me with my spudgun problems.
secondly I have got a question is lubricant/contact spray a good combustion fuel for a simple combustion cannon?.

thanks alot for the help.

rexw7
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: saefroch » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:25 am

That depends if it's pressurized with butane or propane, or some other lightweight alkane. If it is, you can use the alkane as fuel. If not, you can't.

saefroch
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:00 pm

Liquid lubricants by nature contain a high viscosity oil with a low vapor pressure, as they need to linger on a surface for extended periods of time and effectively reduce friction. These are not the compounds you want to use as a spudgun fuel. Even if the propellant is a hydrocarbon gas as saefroch mentioned, you'll end up coating the chamber and electrodes in an insulating film, and have to clean it out periodically to restore functionality of the ignition system.

If you want a good spray 'n' pray fuel, go down to a local auto supply store and purchase a can of engine starting fluid. It contains heptane and diethyl ether, and will work as well as any aerosol product you can find on the market.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jsefcik » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:14 pm

Well I'm confused whats contact spray? But i use carb cleaner works great , never have problems with it

Spudblaster, you still have to be careful, starting fluid an explode that what they use to start indy 500 cars but it is a great fuel, which i happen to use my self

Edited by jrrdw, double posting.

jsefcik
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: jrrdw » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:13 pm

"Spudblaster, you still have to be careful, starting fluid an explode that what they use to start indy 500 cars but it is a great fuel, which i happen to use my self"

Spudblaster15 has a handle on what good fuel is etc...

http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/useful-links-and-infromation-t13096.html

Have a look at that page link posted above, it's full of good information.

Welcome to Spudfiles. :D

When life gives you lemons...throw them back they suck!
jrrdw
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:27 pm

jsefcik wrote:Spudblaster, you still have to be careful, starting fluid an explode that what they use to start indy 500 carsf

:roll:

It's no more of an explosion hazard than propane or butane, both of which are used extensively in combustion cannons on this site.

The most significant issue with starting fluid is actually ignition failure due to overfueling. The fuel component is delivered in liquid state, and as such it is very easy to add too much and exceed the flammability limit in air. No explosion risk, but it is a pain in the ass to have to vent the chamber and begin the fueling process over again.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jsefcik » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:08 pm

OK, i see what you mean

Edit by Moderator (MrCrowley): Don't double post (i.e., do not post replies consecutively in the same topic, edit your previous post or wait for another member to reply). Why did you post two posts in a row a few minutes apart which say more or less the same thing?

I understand now

jsefcik
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Return to Combustion Cannon Discussion