Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 55 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 50 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

First propane Cannon

Post questions and info about combustion (flammable vapor) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about fuels, ratios, ignition systems, safety, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
First propane Cannon

Unread postAuthor: thekiller578 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:07 pm

Alright guys i really need help on this, i just finished testing out my cannon, no flaws at the moment but i realized it may not be safe, i wanted to go with ABS instead of PVC but here and near the Mckinney area i cannot find ANY ABS, anyways, its a full PVC construction, Built in Twin fan, Automatic sparker (one of the new BBQ ignitions that use a AA battery) propane hose with a ball valve on the cannon, it has a few screws to hold the fans in place, i need to know if the screws are safe to keep on the chamber, ive had a few accidents with crap blowing up in my hands and face, (Mini cannon blew up-and friends doing stupid things like putting smoke bomb that are defected and explode instead of spewing out smoke) as of right now im trying to reduce the image size so i can post a pic of the cannon, and the reason im asking is because the cannon is WAY too loud, i dont know if that's what propane does or so on, and like i said its my first Propane model ive only used axe spray and hair spray.
P.S. sorry for the long post
over all length of the chamber is atleast 3-4 1/2 FT

Attachments
untitled.JPG
sorry for very bad quality, but heres the cannon, still in the testing phase after comes to cleaning it up and paint
ammo.JPG
The Ammo i use, has a plug at the end so i can add just about anything, (thats a powder or a liquid of course)
ammo.JPG (31.82 KiB) Viewed 648 times
Last edited by thekiller578 on Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

thekiller578
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: Gun Freak » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:19 pm

Combustions are generally loud, especially with short barrels. Let's see them pics!

OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
Gun Freak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: thekiller578 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:33 pm

alright thats some good news,
and what about the screws? i have 2 holding the dual fan and 2 for the ignition

thekiller578
Private
Private

Re: First propane Cannon

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:50 pm

thekiller578 wrote:Built in Twin fan

Where exactly have you placed the fans inside the chamber? If either of them are located near the front of the chamber, you're likely to encounter problems with the gas flow destroying the fan during firing.

it has a few screws to hold the fans in place, i need to know if the screws are safe to keep on the chamber

As long as you drilled the holes through an area in which the chamber pipe and a fitting overlap to create a double layer of PVC, the screws should be fine. If you drilled through a single layer of PVC, I'd consider replacing that section of the chamber, as a threaded hole creates a location for major stress concentration, and can result in a failure of your pressure vessel.

ive had a few accidents with crap blowing up in my hands and face, (Mini cannon blew up-and friends doing stupid things like putting smoke bomb that are defected and explode instead of spewing out smoke)

You should consider keeping your friends away from your launchers if they are going to participate in such moronic activities as placing solid fuel based devices in the chamber of a plastic spudgun.

the reason im asking is because the cannon is WAY too loud...
over all length of the chamber is atleast 3-4 1/2 FT

What is the diameter of your chamber, as well as the length and diameter of your barrel? Based on the measurement provided, I'd assume that you likely have an extremely large chamber to barrel ratio, which is causing your cannon to have a substantial noise output. If you want to quiet it down, shorten the chamber and/or increase the volume of the barrel.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: thekiller578 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:03 pm

the fans are located near the back,
and yes they are double layered, and as for the other 2 ill consider cutting that portion off since its by the cap,
the diameter for the chamber is 4" going down to the barrel which is 2" the length of the barrel is 3ft
and your definitely right about keeping them away

thekiller578
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:23 am

thekiller578 wrote:the diameter for the chamber is 4" going down to the barrel which is 2" the length of the barrel is 3ft

In that case, you're looking at a C:B ratio somewhere between 4:1 and 6:1, which is clearly the reason for the cannon's loud report. Consider shortening the chamber to around 18" and extending the barrel to 5 or 6 feet. This will actually increase the performance of your launcher while improving air/fuel mixing efficiency and reducing the noise level.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: thekiller578 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:33 am

alright thanks :) i plan on modifying the fan placement also, having it held by rings inside the chamber not only that but by adding some thickness to the chamber

thekiller578
Private
Private

Sponsored

Sponsor

Return to Combustion Cannon Discussion