Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 50 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 46 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

I am confused

Post questions and info about combustion (flammable vapor) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about fuels, ratios, ignition systems, safety, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
I am confused

Unread postAuthor: Hashbrowwns 4flip » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:08 pm

So I built my propane injection launcher and all the test fires went perfect. Put spuds through 3/8 inch plywood at 50 feet and fired consistently. I know my mix is a little rich because I used a 4 inch nipple because I couldn't find a 3 and 1/2 inch. Took it apart to paint it. Made a golf ball barrel. Put it back together . Took it to the mountains and it isn't getting enough air so it is now inconsistent. Haven't tried it at home again yet. A few thousand feet shouldn't change atmospheric pressure enough to throw me that far off should it? Could weak batteries cause the fan to not blow hard enough?

Hashbrowwns 4flip
Private
Private

Re: I am confused

Unread postAuthor: evanmcorleytv » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:18 pm

Hashbrowwns 4flip wrote:So I built my propane injection launcher and all the test fires went perfect. Put spuds through 3/8 inch plywood at 50 feet and fired consistently. I know my mix is a little rich because I used a 4 inch nipple because I couldn't find a 3 and 1/2 inch. Took it apart to paint it. Made a golf ball barrel. Put it back together . Took it to the mountains and it isn't getting enough air so it is now inconsistent. Haven't tried it at home again yet. A few thousand feet shouldn't change atmospheric pressure enough to throw me that far off should it? Could weak batteries cause the fan to not blow hard enough?

Yes, a change in atmospheric preddure can affect copmbustion cannons. Go to Spudtool online.

evanmcorleytv
Major
Major

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:40 am

If you were already rich with your mix, then taking oxygen away is only going to make it worse. As suggested, check the calculations and go from there.

You also said you've taken it apart. Check it over a couple of times to make sure everything went back the way it was before.

Good luck.

Hubb
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: mark.f » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:37 pm

I notice you're getting the desired amount of fuel by adjusting the meter volume rather than pressure. It would be much more accurate to use a larger meter pipe and adjust the pressure using a regulator.

mark.f
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Hashbrowwns 4flip » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:59 am

Guess I will buy a regulator. Thanks guys

Hashbrowwns 4flip
Private
Private

Return to Combustion Cannon Discussion