Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 70 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 65 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Any electritians? Please help my ignition question

Post questions and info about combustion (flammable vapor) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about fuels, ratios, ignition systems, safety, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Any electritians? Please help my ignition question

Unread postAuthor: Aussieboy » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:59 am

Atm I have a simple BBQ piezo ignitor as my Ignition system for my cannon

Between my nails there is a 6mm gap,

I have been trying to make an electrical ignition system (simple buttons/switches)

I just want to know what type of battery/how many volts i will need to get a spark across a 6mm gap

(I did electronics in my 4 years of seinor school, so i know the basic terms)

Aussieboy
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:21 am

You need roughly 5000 volts to produce an open air spark. A 50,000 - 100,000 volt stun gun, which can be purchased for around $10 would work very well, and allow you to use a pushbutton to trigger the spark.

However, if stun guns are illegal in your area, you can use a disposable camera flash ignition system. This works by storing electricity in each of 2 capcitors. When the button is pushed, the high voltage ionizing capacitor first discharges, ionizing a thin path of gas across the spark gap, providing a path of ultra low resistance for the other capacitor's charge, which then discharges across the gap, ionizing a large amount of the gas surrounding the electrodes, creating a large spark/flash.

After wiring it all up, you can replace the camera's flash trigger switch with another of your choice, such as a toggle switch or a pushbutton switch. For more information ont his concept, look here.

Last edited by SpudBlaster15 on Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Aussieboy » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:29 am

Yea stun guns are most likely illegal in my shithole state

Thanks a million man :)

That link didnt work :(

Aussieboy
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:32 am

Try it now. :D

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Aussieboy » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:43 am

Cheers mate ;)

This will help alot

Aussieboy
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: Aussieboy » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:05 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ErFr66Y0LQ

That is an instructional video of a man making one

He said that for the spark to happen the two probes must touch?

Or does a spark occur when I press the shutter of the camera?

Edit: Sorry, disregard that, I see the difference, He was shorting the circuit but your method is going thru the whole process

Aussieboy
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: jon2680 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:42 am

you could aslo use a and ignitor for a newer furnas, or hot water tank. You'll have to find one that is 12v dc, which isnt uncommon. Kind of expensive but are a very relyable ignitor. Should be availible at any heating and air conditioning co. ( note I'm in Canada not sure if you have same furnas regulations in your state or if you even need them ie florida probably not easy to get furnas products.)

jon2680
Private First Class
Private First Class

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: jon2680 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:47 am

also you could use an ignition system froma small motor bike , you would need the battery, coil, spark plug, ignition. make sure you have it wired properly, pos to pos neg to neg. If you dont it wont work, and dont hold the ingition on to long you'l burn up the spark plug and possibly the coil.

Note dont use one form a newer bike it may require a computer of some sort. even a ingnition system for a weed eater or something of the like will work.

jon2680
Private First Class
Private First Class

Return to Combustion Cannon Discussion