Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 68 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 64 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Camping fan

Post questions and info about combustion (flammable vapor) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about fuels, ratios, ignition systems, safety, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Camping fan

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:16 am

I saw this camping fan today at my local hardware store for 3 bucks, so I decided to pick it up and try to mount it in the chamber of my larger gun. I decided to test it out, so I installed 2 AA batteries and turned it on. The blast of air blew my hair back. This fan is very powerful for its size. After opening it up, it took about 3 seconds to figure out how to set it up to enable it to be switched on and off from outside the chamber. Here is the result.

The batteries and switch are both located outside of the chamber, in the barrel support. I took the gun out and test fired it with the new fan and WOW, what a difference. My 50mm PC fan running on 12 volts is no comparison. Power increased dramatically. I suggest that everyones goes out and buys one of these fans, for 3 bucks and 20 minutes of work you can increase the power of your gun substantially.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Bluetooth » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:54 am

I've seen someone on this forum use one of those before but, Im to lazy to find it.

Bluetooth
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: mindtrickonu » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:28 pm

how big is the chamber that's in? ... what fuel are you using? and (looking at the picture) is it blowing air toward you or down the barrel?

mindtrickonu
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread postAuthor: Bluetooth » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:37 pm

Down the barrell unless he switched the wires going from the batteries to the motor.

Bluetooth
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:54 pm

mindtrickonu wrote:how big is the chamber that's in? ... what fuel are you using? and (looking at the picture) is it blowing air toward you or down the barrel?

The chamber is 4" in diameter and 16" long. I use starting fluid as fuel, and the fan is blowing air towards the barrel.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: mindtrickonu » Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:35 pm

AWESOME .... cus thats nearly exactly what im using ... so when you say a great performance increase .... u mean 20 yards? or 100 yards increase?

mindtrickonu
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread postAuthor: MisterSteve124 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:01 pm

He means like 20 yards a fan will not give you +100 yards

MisterSteve124
Colonel
Colonel

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:08 pm

I couldnt tell how much farther it flew as I was in my backyard. What I did notice, however, is how much faster it flew. Also, my already over chambered gun's noise output went from BANG to BANG!.

SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: mindtrickonu » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:45 pm

so im guessing the fan did a much better job of atomizing and mixing the gas in the chamber

mindtrickonu
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread postAuthor: mindtrickonu » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:51 pm

ok so i have another question ... i went out and bought one ... cus i'd like to try it and they're cheap ... how did you mount it?

mindtrickonu
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread postAuthor: King_TaTer » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:09 pm

it looks as if you mounted it on the rite way with the airflow exausting out the muzzle. if you didnt then do so, trust me its better. 8)

King_TaTer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: mindtrickonu » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:53 pm

well .. lookgin at the picture ... thw two wires hanging down are for the fan? ..or for the spark ... and the screws are holding the fan up ... I DONT KNOW

mindtrickonu
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:15 pm

Those wires that are hanging down act as mounts, and also supply current to the fan. They are solid steel and keep the fan mounted solidly. All you have to do is take apart the fan, drill 2 holes in the top, make the mounts out of steel wire, attach them to the fan housing with screws and nuts, and run wires from the motor's terminals to the posts. Drill 2 holes in your gun, and thread a screw through each hole. Use a nut to secure each mount post to the screws. On the outside of the gun, I ran 2 wires through a switch harness, to a pair of AA batteries wired in series. Simple and effective.

SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: King_TaTer » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:28 pm

indeed spudblaster, indeed

King_TaTer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: boilingleadbath » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:37 pm

Latke showed that a chamber fan increased [his launcher's] muzzle energy ~40%, IIRC... and that was with a fairly ideal ratio. (I expect a bigger increase with a oversized chamber.)

This was with both propane and with starting fluid.

boilingleadbath

Next

Return to Combustion Cannon Discussion