Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 77 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 73 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Propane Question

Post questions and info about combustion (flammable vapor) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about fuels, ratios, ignition systems, safety, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Propane Question

Unread postAuthor: bang_bang » Wed May 09, 2007 12:43 am

Hello, Im new to the forum and am currently building my 5th spudgun I am planning on a combustion with all the bells and whistles, but I would like to know how you are attaching propane tanks to metering systtems I need to go to a 1/4 npt fitting but all I can find is adapters that cost too much money. I have also seen the tapping a torch end method but that seems too complex is there an easier way? I f you could post pics that wpould be much appreciated.
thanks

bang_bang
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: hi » Wed May 09, 2007 12:50 am

you mean like a hose and a hose clamp? 8)

thats what i do, just clamp on a hose and attach it to a gauge and a ball valve and you got a cheap relable meter.

see...

"physics, gravity, and law enforcement are the only things that prevent me from operating at my full potential" - not sure, but i like the quote

you know you are not an engineer if you have to remind yourself "left loosy righty tighty"
hi
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: bang_bang » Wed May 09, 2007 10:28 am

ok I thought about that but is there a problem with the hole in the torch being so tiny? I guess i could just cut off the part with the bend in it the n attach a hose to it.

bang_bang
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: ArticWolf » Wed May 09, 2007 12:38 pm

An easy way to attach a propane tank to a metering system is to get a little propane stove and take the end off to fit a pipe nipple to the metering system like I did well a picture is worth a thousand words so this might help if you have any ?'s ask me. Just remember that people hook up there metering ststem's up differentently then mine.

Attachments
Metering pipe.jpg
Metering pipe
Metering pipe.jpg (18.18 KiB) Viewed 448 times
ArticWolf
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: bang_bang » Wed May 09, 2007 1:30 pm

Do you think that I could buy just that piece or would I need to get an entire stove? Do you have any links to stoves that would work? and do you belive the setup used by HI would work as it seems simple and cheap.

Thanks

bang_bang
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: spudzinger » Wed May 09, 2007 5:53 pm

You can find old Coleman double burner stoves for like $1 at garage sales these days. So, I'd say just buy an old propane stove and rip it apart, plus there'll be other cool stuff to mess with. Good Luck Spud

spudzinger
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Return to Combustion Cannon Discussion