Login    Register
User Information
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Who is online

In total there are 67 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 62 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Research Cannon progress reports

Post questions and info about combustion (flammable vapor) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about fuels, ratios, ignition systems, safety, and anything else relevant.
  • Author

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:36 am

Extremely old thread, I know. I was very interested in the tests both BLB and Jimmy were planning to perform more than 2 years ago, but nothing ever came of it. That was 2007, and now in 2009 we still do not have any fixed-barrel/variable-chamber data for combustion launchers. Could you guys perhaps shed some light on why you abandoned the projects? I know Jimmy is still here, but I haven't seen BLB lately.

Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jimmy101 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:55 am

piezo in the chamber apparently shattered

can no longer get the breech open, or the barrel off, since they had to be cranked in place very tightly to stop all possible leaks for the closed chamber tests.

Photo transistors in the ~7' barrel need paired light sources since not enough light gets into the barrel for the 15 detectors in series.

HGDT was released which, though not perfect, appears to be able to answer the key questions.

So, it's sitting on the bench in the garage collecting dust...

Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Return to Combustion Cannon Discussion