Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 42 users online :: 6 registered, 0 hidden and 36 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], jimmy101, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

spark strip question....

Post questions and info about combustion (flammable vapor) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about fuels, ratios, ignition systems, safety, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
spark strip question....

Unread postAuthor: hoarp001 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:57 pm

Hi,

I have just finished making two spark strips for a combustion gun. each spark strip looks like this:

http://www.peter-hoare.co.uk/sparkstrip.jpg

It has three 1mm gaps, and i am powering both of them from my 100,000v spark generator (stungun basically) and I am worried the sparks wont be big enough to ignite the gas in the chamber. I had a breif go, using the strips to ignite the blowtorch and nothing happend.

They will be about 25cm apart in a 50cm long chamber, firing on either mapp or propane.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

hoarp001
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: iPaintball » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:01 pm

With a regular combustion, you could increase the total gap size to an inch. Probabaly more effective...

Summer Projects:
CO2 tank hybrid: Gotta fix the meter :(
Cane gun: Needs a pilot/fill setup
1.5" piston valve gun: Almost done
iPaintball
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Pete Zaria » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:13 pm

My combustion gun has a spark strip with five, 2.5mm gaps, for a total of just under half an inch. Works excellently. If you have the resources to make a longer spark strip (to cover more chamber area) with more, slightly larger gaps, I'd recommend doing so.

However, your strip should work. A hot enough spark, regardless of size, should ignite a near-stoichiometric propane mixture.

Peace,
Pete Zaria.

Pete Zaria

Unread postAuthor: noname » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:33 pm

It'll work just fine, although as Pete stated, larger strips for bigger chambers will be more effective. I have 4 sparks each about a millimeter long because I'm using a BBQ igniter in a huge cannon, and they ignite the fuel just as well as any other spark.

noname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Return to Combustion Cannon Discussion