Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 41 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 36 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Double spark gap(POV)

Come find a how-to on how to do something, or come write your own for other people.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Double spark gap(POV)

Unread postAuthor: Mr.Russ » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:30 am

ok well this is my kind of ghetto way of making a double spark gap.

I dont have real photo's of the process but it is pretty simple to understand. Easier with the help of the dodge pictures i have drawn.

Final product:

To use this you use a strong bonding material such as epoxy to glue it inside your chamber. Fill the half of PVC with epoxy, and then mount it inside your chamber.

VIDEO:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBqmYY5SEvw

Music is like candy. you throw out the (w)rappers
Mr.Russ
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: f.c » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:00 am

nice i am going to use this soon. im fixing up a basic combustion which i got given so ill use this.

f.c
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: Mr.Russ » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:45 am

lol.

i was totally confused by the ones on burnt latke, with all the etching and whatnot. i decided to make my version of it.

you can put 2 thin bolts in the other side of the pipe level with the biggest copper wire, making a 4 spark.

Mr.Russ
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: frankrede » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:09 am

Mr.Russ wrote:lol.

i was totally confused by the ones on burnt latke, with all the etching and whatnot. i decided to make my version of it.

you can put 2 thin bolts in the other side of the pipe level with the biggest copper wire, making a 4 spark.
That was just an example, their design was rather simple.

Current project: Afghanistan deployment
frankrede
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: jimmy101 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:46 pm

Nice write-up, similar to Latke's "chamber short" (not the same as his spark strips). Probably a bit better design since all the electrodes are on the same piece of PVC.

I would suggest a minor mod. The tips of the electrodes should be bent over so they point at each other. That will insure that the spark jumps from the tips of the wires instead of sometimes jumping from the sides of the wire, or even between the parts of the wire that are under the piece of PVC.

Attachments
jims_short.gif
jims_short.gif (3.72 KiB) Viewed 2251 times

jimmy101
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: spud yeti » Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:36 pm

instead of sometimes jumping from the sides of the wire, or even between the parts of the wire that are under the piece of PVC

Yeah, make sure the tips are closer than the base, or isulate them with silicone or got glue. I suggest the first option though, as it is less permanent :wink:

really good quote/phrase here
spud yeti
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Mr.Russ » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:53 pm

i realised that. some of my sparks ended up jumping at the bottom so at the bottom i bent them out, then at the top i bent them in. there like zig-zag kind of now.

Mr.Russ
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Thursto » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:26 am

jimmy101 wrote:Nice write-up, similar to Latke's "chamber short" (not the same as his spark strips). Probably a bit better design since all the electrodes are on the same piece of PVC.

I would suggest a minor mod. The tips of the electrodes should be bent over so they point at each other. That will insure that the spark jumps from the tips of the wires instead of sometimes jumping from the sides of the wire, or even between the parts of the wire that are under the piece of PVC.

I like the 2nd spark design! I might do mine that way if i make one but make it so the sparks are in the middle of the chamber

Cheers jiimy101, and mite i say, Mr.russ, very nice! I like it alot, better then what i was planning on doing, good stuff.

EDIT: Damm the pic didnt come with the quote, owell basicly, i like jimmy101's 2nd mod idea of mr.russ's design

Thursto
Major
Major

Unread postAuthor: CannonCreator » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:09 pm

This is cool. I have made the same identical thing before. But I used screws then filled the peice of pvc with hotglue. They work really well, bette rthatn spark strips on my combustion cannon.

Spudding Is dangerous, I learned the hard way:
http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/my-eye- ... 15301.html

Guns. As They may Claim lives, they are lives. Our lives.

When Life gives you lemons, through them at somone.

Live, Breathe, Eat, Paintball
CannonCreator
Captain
Captain

Return to How-To Guide Database