Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 73 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 69 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Another Breech Loading System

Come find a how-to on how to do something, or come write your own for other people.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Another Breech Loading System

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:50 pm

About 6 months ago, I built a pneumatic cannon. It is a 1.5" barreled cannon with a modded sprinkler valve and breech loader. It was designed primarily for paintball use and shells were loaded with sabots. I attempted to model the breech loading system after the BECC and feel that I did a pretty good job. This system did okay, that is until I went to fire a potato.

The shell was loaded, and the cannon was charged. I grabbed the beast and pulled the trigger. The potato sealed too good and the whole shell popped out of the receiver part, sliding the entire barrel forward. This may not sound bad but it did. It sounded really bad. The pressures coming from the sprinkler valve (sitting right next to my ear, of course) was so loud that my ear rang for about an hour.

This mishap caused me to redesign the breech loading system, so I did. No it works wonderfully with any type of ammo.

I am not going to post step - by - step instructions because the pictures should explain it for the most part. Any questions, just ask.

Note: The system works wonderfully with the 1.5" cannon. I don't see why it couldn't be scaled up or down to accommodate any other type of cannon as well. Okay, now for the pictures.

Attachments
Broken Gauge.jpg
this is what happens when a gauge doesn't do what I tell it to (actually, I broke it trying to screw it on).
Veiw 2, Barrel Secured to Chamber.jpg
This system allows the barrel to slide forward to open the breech. The larger coupling (2") was screwed to the 1.5" tee because it was slightly too big to use glue. The coupling was then gapped out, as shown, to allow for a locking mechanism. The tee was slit and secured to the chamber with a clamp.
Barrel Lock.jpg
To allow the barrel to slide smoothly, the tee was hollowed out, the 2" coupling was secured to it and the whole thing (coupling and tee) was slit. It slides good.
Receiver with Catch (front).jpg
This is the front view of the receiver with the locking mechanism on it. As one can see, the front portion of the locking mechanism is sharpened to allow the shell to easily slide in place.
Receiver wth Catch.jpg
This is the receiver with the locking mechanism shown. The locking mechanism is constructed using a cutout piece of pipe. A piece of the coupling used for the shell was then glued on the end, as shown.
Reciever with Catch and Shell.jpg
This is the receiver holding the shell. The shell is made of a piece of pipe (same size as barrel). A piece of coupling is cut (in the case, 1" wide) and glued about an inch from the end.
Breech Parts.jpg
This is the breech parts. It consists of the locking mechanism, the shell, and the receiver.
Whole Breech Assembled.jpg
This is the whole setup.
Hubb
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: origin unknown » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:59 pm

Did your first version of the cannon shoot the potato out when the shell popped out or did the shell pop out with the potato still inside?

Ecclesiastes 1:9 - What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.
origin unknown
Colonel
Colonel

Location: Searcy, Arkansas (college) and Memphis, TN (hometown)

Unread postAuthor: LikimysCrotchus5 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:19 pm

I think thats its awesome!! im gonna try it..........eventually :lol:

LikimysCrotchus5
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:36 pm

The first version was designed for paintball and shot the sabots quite nicely, as long as I held the barrel. It also shot the potato, but it only went about 5 feet from me. Most of the force was directed to try and break my eardrum.

Hubb
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: tomthebomb137 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:11 pm

thats rather funny because i built a system exactly like the BECC as well and, just like you, it worked fine untill i fired a potato, and just like you i messed up my ear. Nice work here

tomthebomb137
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Return to How-To Guide Database