Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 78 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 73 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Getting more views on your creations

Come find a how-to on how to do something, or come write your own for other people.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Getting more views on your creations

Unread postAuthor: Velocity » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:05 pm

I see a lot of people out there who make some really nice cannons, but really do not get the recognition that they deserve for it. Usually it is not because of a fault in the build; rather, it is a fault in the presentation of the build. Too often do I see a nice creation packaged in an ugly, unfriendly post. If you want people to see your work and appreciate it, using the following tips as help might be beneficial.

1.) Give the cannon a nice name. No one wants to see something called "My amazing cannon!" or "I finally finished it!", because that gives absolutely no description as to what the viewer will be seeing. Using a name that somehow relates to the cannon or some aspect of the cannon is always a good thing. It can be completely creative, like calling a BBMG "Hurricane", or it can be more descriptive, like calling a piston valved golf ball launcher "Piston-Valved GB Launcher". Just have some sort of a decent name.

2.) Add a little thumbnail image. When I scroll down the finished cannon section, I usually overlook the ones without a thumbnail attached, because I don't know what I will be looking at. A proper thumbnail that catches the eye can get you a lot of views, which turns into a lot of constructive criticism as well as complements.

3.) Use proper spelling and grammar. If you just spent time and money perfecting a work of art, don't disgrace it by writing "0iVi6 L00i< @7 ivi@ 5VV337 C4iiViiV0iiV!!!1!!!one!!!eleven!!!"

4.) Post plenty of clear pictures. If you have one picture of the barrel of the launcher, it won't attract anyone. Post a lot of pictures (a minimum of three) showing off your creation from all angles. And please, no cell phone pictures. It is understandable that you are excited to post your work on Spudfiles for the world to see; do it justice by having clear images.

5.) Videos can be good. If you have a video with good resolution, proper flow, good music, decent editing, well done damage shots, and informational content, it will get your creation many views. If you have an OK quality video that has a short clip of a single damage shot, include it; it will keep a few people entertained. If you took a video of your cannon charging to 10 PSI on your cellphone...leave it out.

6.) Provide the proper facts. Include basic information like chamber size, chamber volume, valve type, valve details, barrel diameter, barrel length, fuel used, pressure rating, ammo type, etc.

7.) Provide comprehensive explanations. If you have a special or detailed part on your creation, tell the people about it. Don't say "I built an automatic breech loader. It is good." Write a paragraph or two describing it's inner workings in detail.

8.) Include some stories if you have them. If anything funny happened while you built the cannon, collected parts, designed it, fired it, etc, write about it. It will make your post more complete.

9.) The post should be organized. Don't make your post one big chunk of text. Cut it up into more manageable pieces. One paragraph can be dedicated to the facts, another to special parts, another to stories, and so on.

10.) Have a balance of images in your post. When I make a post, I like to have one big picture at the top, and then hyperlinks to the rest of the images. This is not a good idea. People might just rush through your post and skip the hyperlinks. Have a good amount of full images on the page, and only hyperlink to certain images. Needless to say, all of the really good pictures should be viewable just by opening up the topic about your cannon; the ones which are less good can be hyperlinked.

11.) Post your cannon in the right section. Come on now...

These are just a few tips that should help you out. I know there are certainly more, but here are just a few that I think take away from 90% of the cannons posted here on Spudfiles. I certainly do not follow all of these guidelines; I recognize that. Hopefully by following some of these suggestions, your cannon will get the recognition it deserves. If you have any really good suggestions that you think I should add to the list, please tell me, and I'll consider it 8) .

Velocity
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:19 pm

Cool stuff, for anyone reading, this really does work.

And to get even more views, post it on intructables.com and post a video on youtube, try and include the words 'simple, awesome, ultimate, powerful' or similar. It attracts people's attention, if they see 'simple' and 'ultimate' or 'powerful' they think they can build one similar pretty easily.

That's what I do, my account has over 220,000 views now, and I get a lot of comments saying 'hey that doesn't look very simple at all'... :D

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: JDP12 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:24 pm

hm very nice write up there, its true too!

"Some say his pet elephant is pink, and that he has no understanding of "PG rated forum". All we know is, he's called JSR. "
JDP12
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Velocity » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:38 pm

MrCrowley wrote:Cool stuff, for anyone reading, this really does work.

And to get even more views, post it on intructables.com and post a video on youtube, try and include the words 'simple, awesome, ultimate, powerful' or similar. It attracts people's attention, if they see 'simple' and 'ultimate' or 'powerful' they think they can build one similar pretty easily.

That's what I do, my account has over 220,000 views now, and I get a lot of comments saying 'hey that doesn't look very simple at all'... :D

Yes indeed, that works for YouTube...though, don't do that here, because I am pretty sure the average IQ of the posters here is at least twice that of the average YouTube junkie 8) ...I've seen some of their posts before :roll: .

Velocity
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:40 pm

Yeah I meant only do that for Youtube, definitely not here, otherwise i'll get out my beating stick :wink: :D

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: starman » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Wouldn't hurt for this to be stickied somewhere. I know, I know everything can't be stickied....

starman
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:53 pm

I was actually thinking the same thing, but I'd like it stickied in the showcase section, but i'm not sure how to do that for multiple sections without making it a Global Announcement :?

I was also thinking it would be cool when making a topic in the showcase sections, if it was a form you filled in.

E.G.

Name:

Description:

Specs

Chamber:

Barrel(s):

Valve:

Pilot Valve:

Pressure:

Misc info:

Kinda like that, and some fields you have to fill in.

MrCrowley

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: starman » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:04 pm

Yep, a form would be good. That would prompt good information out of the builder. Some of them just don't know where and how to start talking about their creation in a logical way.

starman
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: VH_man » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:09 pm

yes sticky this....

i have actually noticed that if i dont have a thumbnail, i get halph as many posts on new cannons..........

and about those youtube junkies..... i had a video of me shooting stuff with a marble cannon (wich was CLEARLY stated ALL OVER the page AND the video) and there was some sort of "MGHDHGHASGAEJ" language asking me if it was a Barret .50 cal, and if it wasnt, if he could please for gods all loving sake have me make him one........... pfft.

I vote Sticky as well.

VH_man
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:17 pm

Yeah I vote sticky too, but I want to do it properly. Not many people posting their cannons who aren't regulars are going to see this. So i'd prefer if we could post it in all the showcase sections. I'll ask BC.

On one of my vids where I shot an inert .303 in a 30-06 casing, and I had clearly said that in the description area, I got about 10 comments saying I was going to die if the gunpowder went off and shot the bullet at me. :roll:

Even if it was real, and did go off, I doubt the bullet would have enough force to kill me, maybe if it hit the right spot, apart from that the MythBusters proved otherwise.

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: bigbob12345 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:36 pm

This will be very helpful
Ive always wished my cannons would get more views, and now they actually might.

bigbob12345
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: FordGtMan » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:39 pm

On one of my vids where I shot an inert .303 in a 30-06 casing, and I had clearly said that in the description area, I got about 10 comments saying I was going to die if the gunpowder went off and shot the bullet at me. Rolling Eyes

Hahaha i saw all those. Man, that must have been frustrating... :lol:

FordGtMan
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: jrrdw » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:50 am

MrCrowley wrote:I was actually thinking the same thing, but I'd like it stickied in the showcase section, but i'm not sure how to do that for multiple sections without making it a Global Announcement :?

I was also thinking it would be cool when making a topic in the showcase sections, if it was a form you filled in.

E.G.

Name:

Description:

Specs

Chamber:

Barrel(s):

Valve:

Pilot Valve:

Pressure:

Misc info:

Kinda like that, and some fields you have to fill in.

Yes, a from for presenting your finished cannon. That would make descriptions easy and simple to understand when reading them.

I'm kinda against putting a bunch of pictures in the post, (causes a lot of download time for dial up users) instead, link to pictures in the album section.

As for sticky, I'll stay neutral on that.

When life gives you lemons...throw them back they suck!
jrrdw
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:05 am

MrCrowley wrote:That's what I do, my account has over 220,000 views now, and I get a lot of comments saying 'hey that doesn't look very simple at all'... :D

I found I got a better hit rate on my HEAL video by being a little creative with the keywords - nothing like some people do by adding "The Simpsons Family Guy South Park xxx naked... etc" to the end, because that's just plain lying...

But I did add the words "Paintball sniper" to the end of my Youtube terms (ok, strictly it's not even vaguely suitable for paintball, but hey, I fire paintballs quite accurately), and it seems to have had decent results.

Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Return to How-To Guide Database