Login    Register
User Information
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Who is online

In total there are 81 users online :: 6 registered, 0 hidden and 75 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], mark.f, MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Hinged fan mount

Come find a how-to on how to do something, or come write your own for other people.
  • Author

Hinged fan mount

Unread postAuthor: irickedit » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:39 pm

I wanted a fan mount that would let the fan swing out of the way for breech loading without hanging from the wires. I cut a 3/4" piece of 4", the same as the chamber. Cut a fan size section out of it. Drilled the ends of the C slightly larger than a coathanger. Here I used two saftey pins and a piece of CH wire for the hinge because I couldn't find cotter pins in the garage. Squeeze the C and slide it in, it stays right where you put it.

DSC00388 (Small).JPG
DSC00388 (Small).JPG (26.19 KiB) Viewed 1035 times
DSC00330 (Small).JPG
DSC00330 (Small).JPG (29.35 KiB) Viewed 1035 times
DSC00329 (Small).JPG
DSC00329 (Small).JPG (34.3 KiB) Viewed 1035 times
DSC00331 (Small).JPG
DSC00331 (Small).JPG (38.64 KiB) Viewed 1035 times

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:06 pm

Very ingenious, nice touch :)

Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:45 pm

Excellent idea, and it has me thinking about another potential application for this system.

Perhaps a hinged mount, in addition to a spring based energy absorption setup, could be used to help reduce damage to mixing fans in hybrid chambers. Much of the issue with fans in hybrid chambers seems to stem from the relatively high ΔP/t (Rate of pressure change) inside the chamber, which creates a significant pressure differential on the face of the fan. Typically, the fan ends up in several pieces after only a couple shots.

With a swivel mount in place, the fan would be free to swing up against the chamber wall, and avoid experiencing the stress of a mass fluid flow applying force directly perpendicular to it's largest (And weakest) surface.

Of course, one would still have to deal with the melting issue that comes into play when dealing with increased chamber gas density and the higher specific heat capacity values that go along with it, but that should be fairly easy to deal with through the creative application of heat shielding.

So who's up for testing it?

Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: cfb_rolley » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:35 am

that's a brilliant solution, well done! definately going to start building a coax soon using this

Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: bighead33 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:43 pm

cool wish i had thought of that :wink: .

some day spudfiles is going to take over the world.

Return to How-To Guide Database