Login    Register
User Information
Username:
Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 65 users online :: 6 registered, 0 hidden and 59 guests


Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

High pressure metal piston valve seat

Come find a how-to on how to do something, or come write your own for other people.
Sponsored 
  • Author
    Message

High pressure metal piston valve seat

Unread postAuthor: Lockednloaded » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:10 pm

I'm not sure if this belongs in the how-to section, but I can make a how to on the full valve if y'all would like. This is just a standard part that can be found at any lowes or homedepot. Its a 3/4" male NPT x 3/4" female GHT adaptor, but the 3/4" male end had 1/2" inner threads. A picture's worth a thousand words, so I'll leave you with 6

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
  • 0

I love lamp
User avatar
Lockednloaded
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 1558
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:38 pm
Location: Texas, USA
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: Gun Freak » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:15 pm

Nice find! One thing holding me back on a metal piston valve has always been the seat. (and the cost) Another monster, soon to come, courtesy of LnL.
  • 0

OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
User avatar
Gun Freak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
 
Posts: 4969
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:38 pm
Location: Florida
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 11

Unread postAuthor: Lockednloaded » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:19 pm

Gun Freak wrote:Nice find! One thing holding me back on a metal piston valve has always been the seat. (and the cost) Another monster, soon to come, courtesy of LnL.


If that's all it took to get you to build a metal gun, I should've posted this a long time ago! :D
Seriously, this part makes metal valves so easy, it's the same part I used on my piston hybrid. And even though the female threads are GHT, NPT threads seal due to the gasket.
  • 0

I love lamp
User avatar
Lockednloaded
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 1558
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:38 pm
Location: Texas, USA
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: mattyzip77 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:05 pm

Dang, thats awesome!!! You cant make it any easier than that!! However I am most sure someone wont understand it, lol!! :lol: Great find!!!!!
  • 0

Go Bruins!!!!
User avatar
mattyzip77
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 1249
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:22 pm
Location: Taxachusetts
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:20 pm

For a better wider seat, instead of using a nipple, use a pipe cutter and cut the threaded end off a piece of pipe. That will give a wide seat that is less likely to cut the piston seal at high pressure. Once the pipe is cut, sand it smooth and flat on sandpaper on a flat surface. By carefull cutting of the pipe, you can adjust the extension into the T to the optimum length of about 1/3 the way in for best flow.
  • 0

User avatar
Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff
 
Posts: 5190
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:10 am
Reputation: 14

Unread postAuthor: Lockednloaded » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:34 pm

Technician1002 wrote:For a better wider seat, instead of using a nipple, use a pipe cutter and cut the threaded end off a piece of pipe. That will give a wide seat that is less likely to cut the piston seal at high pressure. Once the pipe is cut, sand it smooth and flat on sandpaper on a flat surface. By carefull cutting of the pipe, you can adjust the extension into the T to the optimum length of about 1/3 the way in for best flow.


I tried that, but it's too wide for the piston to seal on in my experience. Of course someone could make the sealing face wider. My rule of thumb is that you piston seat should be able to fit through your piston housing. I've never had trouble with sealing faces getting cut, this seat has held 400psi in my piston hybrid, and that was just the force holding it closed
  • 0

I love lamp
User avatar
Lockednloaded
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 1558
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:38 pm
Location: Texas, USA
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: ramses » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:32 pm

Lockednloaded wrote:
Technician1002 wrote:For a better wider seat, instead of using a nipple, use a pipe cutter and cut the threaded end off a piece of pipe. That will give a wide seat that is less likely to cut the piston seal at high pressure. Once the pipe is cut, sand it smooth and flat on sandpaper on a flat surface. By carefull cutting of the pipe, you can adjust the extension into the T to the optimum length of about 1/3 the way in for best flow.


I tried that, but it's too wide for the piston to seal on in my experience. Of course someone could make the sealing face wider. My rule of thumb is that you piston seat should be able to fit through your piston housing. I've never had trouble with sealing faces getting cut, this seat has held 400psi in my piston hybrid, and that was just the force holding it closed


If the piston seat (OD) cannot fit through the piston housing, it is larger than the piston, and therefore the piston is not exposed to any pressure on the sealing side. Your rule of thumb, as I understand it at least, allows the absolute maximum seat diameter that could possibly work in an ideal situation.
  • 0

POLAND_SPUD wrote:even if there was no link I'd know it's a bot because of female name :D
User avatar
ramses
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 1679
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 6:50 pm
Reputation: 3

Sponsored

Sponsor
 


Unread postAuthor: jazzman56 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:51 am

This solves my problem, the bunnings i have doesn't sell any brass hose barbs so now i can build a valve with this sealing face. Thanks :D
  • 0


jazzman56
Specialist
Specialist
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:52 am
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: Crna Legija » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:03 am

jazzman56 wrote:This solves my problem, the bunnings i have doesn't sell any brass hose barbs so now i can build a valve with this sealing face. Thanks :D


As far as I know bunnings don't have them fittings(worked there for two years and might as well move in how much I go there lol).

But there 3/4''-1/2'' reducers can be used that way, that's how I did it lol.

also they do have brass hose barbs but they keep them in the irrigation aisle.
  • 0

'' To alcohol... The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.”
--Homer Simpson

Add me on ps3: wannafuk, 8/11/11 cant wait
User avatar
Crna Legija
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 2333
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:14 am
Location: australia
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: clemsonguy1125 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:30 am

Nice find, I wonder if they have one, 1/2 to 1/4
  • 0

That is all.
User avatar
clemsonguy1125
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 1485
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:00 pm
Location: East Coast
Reputation: 1

Unread postAuthor: Lockednloaded » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:02 pm

clemsonguy1125 wrote:Nice find, I wonder if they have one, 1/2 to 1/4


Probably not, I believe GHT threads only come in 3/4".
  • 0

I love lamp
User avatar
Lockednloaded
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 1558
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:38 pm
Location: Texas, USA
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: Gun Freak » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:40 pm

I looked for one at my home depot today, they didn't have them. Was yours in the brass fittings section?
  • 0

OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
User avatar
Gun Freak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
 
Posts: 4969
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:38 pm
Location: Florida
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 11

Unread postAuthor: Lockednloaded » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:12 pm

Here's the final valve:

Image

Gun Freak, that's exactly where I found it, did you try asking someone who worked there about it?
  • 0

I love lamp
User avatar
Lockednloaded
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 1558
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:38 pm
Location: Texas, USA
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: Gun Freak » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:27 pm

I'm done asking people who work at home depot, I know the plumbing department better than their employees.

A worker there was telling a lady about how you can't use PVC with CPVC because "the inside diameters won't match up" :lol:

Valve looks nice. I want to make one :)
  • 0

OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
User avatar
Gun Freak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
 
Posts: 4969
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:38 pm
Location: Florida
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 11

Unread postAuthor: jsefcik » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:44 pm

Gun Freak wrote:I'm done asking people who work at home depot, I know the plumbing department better than their employees.

A worker there was telling a lady about how you can't use PVC with CPVC because "the inside diameters won't match up" :lol:

Valve looks nice. I want to make one :)


thats funny
  • 0


jsefcik
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
 
Posts: 1132
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:11 am
Reputation: 0

Next

Return to How-To Guide Database

Who is online

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot]

Reputation System ©'