Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 48 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 45 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Oxy/MAPP hybrid

Built a hybrid cannon? Then post it here! This section is for completed, finished cannons that you have built. Please include pictures and information.
Sponsored 

Have I gone completely insane?

Yes
33%
Maybe
No votes
No
20%
You would be insane if you weren't using remote ignition
47%

Total votes : 15
  • Author
Oxy/MAPP hybrid

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:25 pm

Today I finished up my Oxy/MAPP hybrid after searching for nearly an hour for a hose barb to connect the oxygen hose to the launcher. The chamber and barrel specifications are identical to previous versions, but the launcher now (obviously) features pure oxygen injection, which will be used at 10psi and 15psi. The wooden base has returned, as well as the remote ignition system. I do not want to be holding the launcher when it is fueled with oxygen and MAPP gas. The remote ignition system has a 1/4" thick T6 6061 aluminum blast shield, which should help protect the expensive electronics in the case of an explosion. A burst disk holder has also been added, meaning everything required to operate the launcher is now on board. Testing will begin this afternoon.

Last edited by SpudBlaster15 on Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Pete Zaria » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:43 pm

Interesting design that you're using, the same meter system for both gases. I assume you'll need significantly more oxygen than fuel to achieve stoichiometric mixes.

What pressure, and how many "shots", of MAPP and O2 do you use for a 2x mix?

I love combustion and hybrid guns that have everything required to operate on-board. It's one of my design criteria for every gun I build, though that isn't a lot of them lately.... lol.

Excellent work, man. You continue to innovate and push the limits. Thank you for your contribution to SpudFiles :)

Peace,
Pete Zaria.

Pete Zaria

Unread postAuthor: frankrede » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:10 pm

Beautiful, what pressure do you plan on taking it too?

Current project: Afghanistan deployment
frankrede
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: DYI » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:17 pm

Looking good. There are very few hybrids set up to use pure Oxygen mixtures, and this may be the first made out of commonly available parts.

The only slight problem I can see is that your gauge isn't rated for oxygen service, but that shouldn't be a problem at such low pressure. You won't be able to get an output of more than 14 psi out of that oxygen regulator (I've tried it). It is relatively simple to modify that regulator to be capable of output pressures of around 70 psi, but you shouldn't need to do so for this design.

DYI
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: hi » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:53 pm

i think you may be sligtly insane, but thats ok, i keeps you alert....

so i have a question. does the oxygen tank has left hand threads? i bought a tank, but the problem is i didnt notice the threads, so it is compleatly usless to me...

anyway, you do have a nice design. it looks powerful.

"physics, gravity, and law enforcement are the only things that prevent me from operating at my full potential" - not sure, but i like the quote

you know you are not an engineer if you have to remind yourself "left loosy righty tighty"
hi
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: iPaintball » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:05 pm

I can't imagine the kind of power you'll get from this thing. Nice work!

Yes, disposeable oxy tanks are reverse threaded, although I'm not sure why...

Summer Projects:
CO2 tank hybrid: Gotta fix the meter :(
Cane gun: Needs a pilot/fill setup
1.5" piston valve gun: Almost done
iPaintball
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: hi » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:10 pm

iPaintball wrote:Yes, disposeable oxy tanks are reverse threaded, although I'm not sure why...

its probably so that teenagers such as myself dont put it into a peice of pipe...

"physics, gravity, and law enforcement are the only things that prevent me from operating at my full potential" - not sure, but i like the quote

you know you are not an engineer if you have to remind yourself "left loosy righty tighty"
hi
Major General
Major General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: dauphinoise potato » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:34 pm

Hmm t'is rather nice looking and a good idea. I sense serious power :twisted:

It's all a bunch of tree huggin' hippie crap!
dauphinoise potato
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: mark.f » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:42 pm

Yes, disposeable oxy tanks are reverse threaded, although I'm not sure why...

The reason is right above your post, in some beautiful 800X600 JPG images.

It's to make it harder for retards like us to put it into a piece of galvanized pipe with some MAPP gas and set it off.

mark.f
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: DYI » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:46 pm

As long as you have the regulator though, it's easy to adapt to almost any system, by the use of hose barbs.

DYI
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:47 pm

I think Mark is correct. :D

Thanks for the comments guys.

On to the questions:

In order to fire, the chamber is first flooded with oxygen from the tank while the barrel is removed, which pushes out whatever combination of gases is currently inside the launcher. Based on a WAG of the flow of the oxygen reg, it should take around 10 seconds to vent. When the tank runs out, I may attempt to refine this method if too much oxygen has been wasted. Then the union is screwed together with a burst disk clamped inside, and the meter is pressurized to 15psi with MAPP. The MAPP is injected, and a 1x mix is achieved. If I want a 2x mix, the meter will pressurized to 30psi with MAPP, and then the entire launcher will be pressurized to 15psi with oxygen. I find the thought of injecting twice the amount of fuel as I was using with my 4x air/MAPP setup slightly nerve wracking. I will not exceed 2x.

I had originally intended to use a system that negated venting the chamber altogether, but it would require the oxygen regulator to output 30psi, which would involve modding the regulator. If my current system proves to waste a large amount of oxygen (I have already calculated how many shots I should achieve using the 40 grams of oxygen in the bottle), I will modify the regulator.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: DYI » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:59 pm

I achieved a very crude modification of an identical regulator by sawing off the top of it, via a cut across the body of it about 1mm below the black knob. If you cut too low, the reg. will be damaged and useless.
If you cut it in the right spot, and have the patience to cut through more than 3/4" of solid brass, you will see a black ring in the center of the tube, which is made of some sort of rubber.

Pressing down on this rubber membrane will release pressure, and the harder you press, the higher the output pressure. Now all you have to do is invent a way for it to achieve a constant, controllable output (which I never did because the entire design was scrapped after it exploded).

I would assume that your other setup involves starting with normal air, adding a set amount of MAPP gas, and then adding the right amount of pure oxygen to account for the extra fuel. This was my original setup, but I measured by chamber pressure rather than using a conventional meter, so it wasn't very accurate. With this setup, there will still be some buffer gas present, so efficiency won't be quite as high, but you will conserve oxygen, which gets expensive very quickly otherwise.

DYI
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:00 pm

Sorry to double post, but I felt this update should be separate from my last post.

I just tested the launcher without a projectile and without a barrel, and at 1x, it was nothing spectacular, but with the chamber pressurized to 15psi with oxygen, it was very loud. The burst disks also burst much more cleanly than they have done in the past with air/MAPP.

From left to right: oxygen/MAPP 2x, oxygen/MAPP 2x, air/MAPP 4x, oxygen/MAPP 1x

SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: DYI » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:05 pm

What are those disks made of? They don't look like they burst very cleanly. From the single shot of my Oxy-MAPP hybrid, I found that the disks burst very cleanly.

DYI
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:07 pm

Those disks are made using plastic material cut from milk jugs. They don't seem to burst very cleanly, unless I am using very powerful fuels (2x oxy/MAPP)

SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Next

Return to Hybrid Cannon Database