Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 66 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 62 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Revamped Hybrid

Built a hybrid cannon? Then post it here! This section is for completed, finished cannons that you have built. Please include pictures and information.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Revamped Hybrid

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:58 pm

You may ask, Did you really have to start another new thread? Don't half a dozen other threads showcasing the same general launcher platform exist already? I reply with, who cares if I could have simply updated the UPHL-38CI thread? Starting fresh doesn't hurt anyone.

In an effort to break 1000ft/lbs with a barrel smaller in diameter than 1", I decided to revamp my hybrid launcher. In order to accomplish this feat safely, I required both a larger chamber, and a longer barrel. The new chamber has a volume of ~32in<sup>3</sup>, and the 0.787" bore barrel has been extended to 6' in length. When it was done, I decided that the overall launcher appeared too raw looking, so I gave it a few coats of black paint.

The end result should push a 25 gram AA battery to slightly over 1100FPS at a 7x mix.

Here is the launcher pictured with the short, 18" barrel, which gives the launcher an overall length of slightly over 4', while still producing nearly 400ft/lbs of muzzle energy.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: LikimysCrotchus5 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:07 pm

Now may i say that is absolutely beautiful :tongue5:
You realy convince me to make a hybrid. But now i dont have the money because im still building my 4 inch piston cannon.

Great paint job, the yellow from the mapp gas tank makes it look nice, like a bumble bee.

I hope to make one just as nice as yours.

4SPC, My 4" piston 3" porting cannon
Memo:
Fix up copper cannon
Fix up 4SPC
Start Stirrup pump
Start Toolies piston bazooka
LikimysCrotchus5
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: TwitchTheAussie » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:21 pm

I say ouchy. That looks wicked man. Good enough reason for me to refuel the addiction.

Raise your horns if you love metal.
spudgunning is like sex, once you've tasted, you can't wait til next time.
-
CpTn_lAw
TwitchTheAussie
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: POLAND_SPUD » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:35 pm

R.E.S.P.E.C.T. :D
plizzz post some vids

POLAND_SPUD
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: Novacastrian » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:18 pm

That has to be the best looking Hybrid launcher on S/F. I like the way you made it look like a rifle with the propane meter acting as a stock :P
Very nice design indeed- don't be surprised when people start copying it :wink: 1000ftlbs sounds very nasty too- can't wait for a vid.

Novacastrian
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Fnord » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:05 pm

I'm sensing some deja voo here :) (would have been funny if you'd posted it on groundhog day).

But anyway, the paint makes it look totally better than before. Should be interesting to see what 1000 ft-lbs will do with such a small projectile.

How much would you say this thing weighs now?

Fnord
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: noname » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:07 am

Great job, your hybrids (or are you still modifying the first one?) just keep getting better and better.

noname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:29 am

Thanks to everyone for voicing your opinions.

Fnord: I'd say it weighs at least 20lbs - though it is still quite comfortable to hold and fire, though somewhat nerve wracking after experiencing the recoil force of an 80 gram steel slug today.

noname: This launcher does indeed utilize ~90% of the components from the original "air through meter" hybrid design that everyone seems so keen on copying.

To those requesting a video, that will have to wait until the outdoor temperature increases to a comfortable level, which may not occur for a fairly large period of time. However, it should be nothing short of impressive. The hydraulic shock experienced by a water filled milk jug, caused by the impact of a 30 gram wax slug with it's exterior wall, should create a rather spectacular explosion. I'm also fairly certain that I can punch a hole through a steel drum at 100 yards with a steel dart.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: mark.f » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:19 pm

0.787" bore eh? It'd be interesting to see what a paintball pushing the velocities this launcher could generate could do.

Good job. I plan to see more of this design from you (or others).

mark.f
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: SpudFarm » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:20 pm

i dont think a PB would make it trough that barrel! and 1000ft/ibs is soo SICK with a small bore! i cant wait to see a video of it shooting 4 phone books at a row :D

SpudFarm
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: spanerman » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:18 pm

^if it was frozen it would :shock:

spanerman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Return to Hybrid Cannon Database