Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 61 users online :: 6 registered, 0 hidden and 55 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

UPGBH10x

Built a hybrid cannon? Then post it here! This section is for completed, finished cannons that you have built. Please include pictures and information.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: Moonbogg » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:53 am

Holy mother! I very VERY much enjoyed those videos of such heavy weight destruction. Impressive to the max. Thank you for your time in putting these videos together. I know it takes some effort. Rock explosion video FTW!

Moonbogg
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: SpudFarm » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:50 am

Moonbogg wrote:Holy mother! I very VERY much enjoyed those videos of such heavy weight destruction. Impressive to the max. Thank you for your time in putting these videos together. I know it takes some effort. Rock explosion video FTW!

Thanks Moonbogg! I try to keep my videos simple but reasonably detailed.

I imagaine I can do some more shots tomorrow. It kind of starts being hard to find targets :D

Edit:
I found some targets, not very good ones but I plan on shooting the chair again. Perhaps with different ammo.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGX-9dxo9s4[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tngvs9smoc[/youtube]

"Made in France"
- A spud gun insurance.
SpudFarm
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: ramses » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:50 pm

NICE. I love the wadding spraying out afterward.

Did the motor work? If so, what a shame.

POLAND_SPUD wrote:even if there was no link I'd know it's a bot because of female name :D
ramses
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: SpudFarm » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:23 pm

ramses wrote:NICE. I love the wadding spraying out afterward.

Did the motor work? If so, what a shame.

Thanks!

The motor had no internals and I have been trying to crack it's casing with a hammer for a very long time to melt the aluminum.
Should have thought of using the cannon :D

"Made in France"
- A spud gun insurance.
SpudFarm
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Moonbogg » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:20 pm

Thats some insane power right there. Its kind of morbid, but I am forced to immagine what it might be like to get hit square in the belly by that thing (is that against the rules to say?)

Moonbogg
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:15 pm

Moonbogg wrote:Its kind of morbid, but I am forced to immagine what it might be like to get hit square in the belly by that thing

Looks like SpudFarm needs to acquire a rather large quantity of ballistics gel. :D

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: SpudFarm » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:22 pm

SpudBlaster15 wrote:
Moonbogg wrote:Its kind of morbid, but I am forced to immagine what it might be like to get hit square in the belly by that thing

Looks like SpudFarm needs to acquire a rather large quantity of ballistics gel. :D

Moonbogg: I would not like to get hit in the belly with this :P Would drain your lunch in an instant.

Spudblaster: A few tons of ballistics gel would certainly make up for a shocking shot. I can imagine a 600g slug tumbling through meters of gelatine, creating huge cavities.

Hmm, interesting! Anything that can be made practically and simple to give an idea of what it could do to flesh?

"Made in France"
- A spud gun insurance.
SpudFarm
Donating Member
Donating Member

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: ramses » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:29 pm

One could simply assume it is simply Death-On-A-Stick, but that's no fun.

Box-O-Truth?

Water usually gives a decent approximation. A bullet will go through about half as much flesh as water. So you need an underwater video camera, and the nearest LAKE.

DO NOT have anyone's head (or body, really) in the water when you fire. Keep in mind that you may kill fish with the shock-wave.

Does anyone know numbers of stress/strain for flesh? If so, I could try it in ALGOR. It might not work so well though. When I simulated a dart piercing steel, it crashed before the dart de-accelerated at all. The tip made it to the other side with full velocity (obviously inaccurate)

POLAND_SPUD wrote:even if there was no link I'd know it's a bot because of female name :D
ramses
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: spudtyrrant » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:28 pm

ramses wrote: I could try it in ALGOR.
or you could try it on al gore lol

I ♥ ♣'in baby seals
spudtyrrant
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: ramses » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:52 pm

I meant ALGOR, although using Al Gore would be much more accurate, and more beneficial to society.

I just realized that I think flesh could be categorized as a non-newtonian fluid, so ALGOR might not work out.

[/OT]

ramses
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Moonbogg » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:24 am

spudtyrrant wrote:
ramses wrote: I could try it in ALGOR.
or you could try it on al gore lol

INFINITE LOLZ!

Moonbogg
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: SpudFarm » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:24 am

More videos!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9yq7w0Mt3w[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qadhuteqBQ0[/youtube]

I will probably do one more shot today if I can figure out what to shoot.

Edit:
DYI have put a thought into my head. I wan't to take it to 20x this summer.
I don't really know if it is safe at those mixes but it was pressure tested to 180bar..

The performance I would get from it would be astounding! With 1.5kg slugs at 299m/s I will reach for 67.000joules of muzzle energy :shock:

The worry is that it fails and blasts a nice hole through my roof. So extensive testing with a test chamber will be done first.

67.000Joules is almost 50.000foot pounds!

"Made in France"
- A spud gun insurance.
SpudFarm
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: mobile chernobyl » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:56 pm

dude I love these videos! Don't stop until your gun ceases lol. :D

Your gun and the projectiles your firing inspired me to incorporate recoil absorption into my gun. And like you, I plan on taking it above 10X, though only to 12-15X lol.

mobile chernobyl
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: SpudFarm » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:57 am

I got kind of tired of waiting for the new union (Sorry MC:D) so I reasembled the cannon with the old one and took a shot at 25l of water in a fuel can.
The velocity was lower then expected but I think it is because the burst disk slips out of the union on one side and resticts flow.

I am also thinking about getting a new manometer for the fuel meter since this one is getting quite worn out now.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7rUk5Uxs3c[/youtube]

"Made in France"
- A spud gun insurance.
SpudFarm
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:34 pm

Very nice. I've seen many videos demonstrating hydraulic shock, but certainly nothing of that scale. Impressive stuff.

The velocity was lower then expected but I think it is because the burst disk slips out of the union on one side and resticts flow.

That is quite likely. I had a similar issue with unmodified hardware store unions on my smaller hybrid designs. If the disk managed to seal effectively enough to allow the launcher to be fired, it would often partially slip out of the union, lodging in the barrel port and heavily constricting flow.

I achieved a solution by grinding down the tapered surface on the female component of the assembly. As your McMaster union uses flat mating surfaces, it should solve this issue as well.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

PreviousNext

Return to Hybrid Cannon Database