Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 76 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 72 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

UPHL-158CI (SB15's hybrid lives!)

Built a hybrid cannon? Then post it here! This section is for completed, finished cannons that you have built. Please include pictures and information.
Sponsored 
  • Author
UPHL-158CI (SB15's hybrid lives!)

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:21 am

Well, it's been more than 2 years since I last had a functioning hybrid, and I decided it was finally time to change that. I wanted something that was capable of firing large caliber (1.5") projectiles, but still able to be comfortably fired from a handheld position. This is the result.

The chamber is approximately 37ci in volume, built from 2" malleable iron pipe and fittings. The overall length is roughly 11", and it has a single, central ignition point. The high voltage for the ignition spark is provided by the same electronic BBQ igniter I used years ago without issue. I've also built in an ignition safety switch to prevent accidental firings.

Rather than the troublesome union setup that gave me fits in 2007 and early 2008, I decided to use 2" cam-lock fittings to hold the burst disks, which will likely be made from multiple layers of Al foil. These cam-locks are rated to 250PSI, which is higher than the unions I previously used. However, the lever clamping mechanism is suspect, which means I'm going to limit the mixes to about 5x for now.

The fuel meter is my standard air through meter design from 2007, which never gave me any issues. As a result of its excellent performance, and the fact that this launcher is handheld and will thus not be taken to high mixes, I chose this design over a manometric setup.

As of now, I'm using propylene gas as fuel, which should give a slight performance boost over propane.

The current barrel is 60" of 1.5" ABS pipe. I'm a little worried about potential mechanical failures, but after DYI's extensive use of the material in intermittent high pressure, high impact situations, I feel comfortable using it at up to 5x. If I decide to use higher mixes, it will be reinforced around the breech area.

HGDT has the launcher delivering ~1400ft-lbs of muzzle energy with a 2oz projectile at 5x, which is pretty respectable for a handheld launcher. This makes it twice as energetic as my large combustion launcher, despite having only ~70% of the barrel length. Ah, the joys of high pressure...

UPDATED PICS AS OF 4/27/2010

Video of some shots fired at a computer. First 3 shots are potatoes; the last one is a 100g rock.

Last edited by SpudBlaster15 on Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:26 pm, edited 8 times in total.
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: deathbyDWV » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:35 pm

Looks good. That'd be so cool if you could fill it from an onboard hpa tank...

Life's too short to mark off the items on your wish list...
deathbyDWV
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: SpudFarm » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:49 pm

Good job on redesigning SB!
It is now much cleaner and more thought through if I can say that.

Not really much to say about this gun since it has all been said a few years ago :P

Just wanted to leave a comment since I love the ever rising flow of hybrids on this forum.

Edit: when looking over the pictures again I realized that you have a handle at the ABS barrel. That might not be the best place to have your hand if it fails..

SpudFarm
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:52 pm

HPA is something that I've considered, but if I had that kind of money to throw around, DYI would have his picture of an airsoft round pierced coin by now. :D

Since I don't need absurd volumes or high starting pressures, I was planning to fill the chamber with a 12V compressor, which would be powered by the cigarette lighter in my car. As of now, I just have a 160PSI track pump from Canadian Tire that should work fine for initial testing.

EDIT:

when looking over the pictures again I realized that you have a handle at the ABS barrel. That might not be the best place to have your hand if it fails..

Yep, that's a temporary handle position. I'll likely relocate it to the chamber when I start to use higher mixes.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: mark.f » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:47 pm

Excellent work. Nice to see some larger bore hybrids not made of PVC show up. :)

mark.f
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Moonbogg » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:29 pm

Looks great! I like it a lot. My only concern is, like someone mentioned, having your hand near the plastic barrel. I am afraid the barrel or plastic breech area could fail at 5x. That could cause some very serious damage to your hand by getting cut from the plastic. Could you put a sheetmetal shield by the top of the handle or something? Just a thought.

Moonbogg
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:25 pm

I ripped the front handle off of my combustion launcher and used it to replace the handle on the barrel. It's now in a position that should prevent injury to my hand in the event of a failure.

SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Moonbogg » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:34 am

Thats at least in a much better position. I would wear eye protection for sure. Any chance of a video?

Moonbogg
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:43 am

Eye protection, as well as hearing protection will definitely be required. I recently fired a 2x shot with an 8 layer Al foil burst disk, and even that was loud enough to make my ears ring.

If the ABS barrel does fail, it will likely just form a small longitudinal crack, which shouldn't pose any significant injury risk. Still, eye protection will be worn at all times when firing this launcher.

I should be able to film a video in a few days when I go up to my hometown.

SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: starman » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:11 am

Sweet, clean and simple hybrid SB. If you're going to shoot it rifle style, you might consider some padding of some sort at the butt...looks like those relatively small pipes might dig into your shoulder upon recoil more than you would like.

You could also twist that gage down where it's inside your plumbing/stock zone. It's vulnerable to get knocked off or generally abused from even normal handling in its present location. Yeah I know, that valve handle is inconveniently in the same location.

What are you planning for your 1.5" ammo? I assume your barrel isn't golf ball size.

starman
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:35 am

I was planning to use a back mount gauge, but the only 0-100PSIG unit I had on hand was severely damaged from a 10x firing 2 years ago (Forgot to close the ball valve :roll:). The inconveniently located bottom mount gauge will have to do until I'm willing to throw more money into this project.

I do intend to add some padding to the rear of the stock, though I haven't decided on a material or attachment method yet.

As for ammo, I'll probably fire golf ball cores, marble buckshot, steel tipped arrows, and frozen potatoes. I also have a steel APFSDS round in the works, but at this point, it's looking like the recoil force from such a heavy projectile may rip my shoulder off.

I have a 2" sleeved golf ball barrel (Longitudinal split + hose clamps + hammer method) up at my other house, which I may attempt to use on this cannon. It would be interesting to approach transonic golf ball velocities using a handheld launcher; as far as I know, that hasn't been done too many times.

SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Gun Freak » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:10 pm

I love this gun, I think I may use it as a model for when (or if :roll: ) I ever build one. Simple and effective.

OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
Gun Freak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: Lockednloaded » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:09 pm

Great hand held hybrid!
My only suggestions for improvement would be a different propane tank, like the long skinny ones, and some sort of body made of abs or wood.
I also have one question, what steps do you take to load it, i think it might be burst disk, open BV to chamber, pump pressure in, Close BV, Meter propane, inject gas, close BV, FIRE!
Am I right?

I love lamp
Lockednloaded
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Gun Freak » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:16 pm

So when you fill it with air and propane, then close the main ball valve, there is still mix inside the metering part right?

OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
Gun Freak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:56 pm

Lockednloaded wrote:Great hand held hybrid!
My only suggestions for improvement would be a different propane tank, like the long skinny ones, and some sort of body made of abs or wood.

I actually like the way the large diameter tank positions the handle, and it gives me 20% more fuel gas for the same price, so I'll probably stick with it.

I've never been a fan of wooden or plastic launcher bodies, as such a setup would probably just add additional weight and unnecessary complication. This launcher will eventually be equipped with a shoulder pad, but that's about it as far as non-performance related additions.

I also have one question, what steps do you take to load it, i think it might be burst disk, open BV to chamber, pump pressure in, Close BV, Meter propane, inject gas, close BV, FIRE!
Am I right?

Not sure how I would meter and inject the fuel gas with the chamber pressurized...

Load the projectile and burst disk, clamp the barrel onto the chamber, meter and inject the fuel, connect the pump and pressurize the chamber, close the ball valve between the chamber and meter, turn off the ignition safety switch, fire.

So when you fill it with air and propane, then close the main ball valve, there is still mix inside the metering part right?

Yes. I originally developed this design ('integrated volumetric metering' or 'air through meter') to combat the problems that plagued traditional meters, namely poor mixing and inaccurate fuel measurement in small chambers. As it does use the fuel meter as a component of the chamber during pressurization and mixing, the meter will remain filled with a pressurized air/fuel mix after the valve is closed.

SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Next

Return to Hybrid Cannon Database