Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 69 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 64 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

WIP: 1.5" Porting Handheld Piston Hybrid (DAMAGE VIDS)

Built a hybrid cannon? Then post it here! This section is for completed, finished cannons that you have built. Please include pictures and information.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:48 am

SpudBlaster15 wrote:Should look pretty spectacular on video.

Especially on high speed, have we mentioned how cheap the Casio series are :D

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:00 am

I'm completely torn between buying a new PC (Laptop) or a Casio EX-F1. After watching all of SpudFarm's videos, I'm starting to lean towards the camera. :D

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:28 am

I was going to do the BB shotgun round test today, but I accidentally used the wrong gelatin to water ratio (Hey, it's been 3 years since I last made this stuff), and the block is way too soft for use. I plan to melt it down tomorrow and add more gelatin powder to bring it up to the correct ratio. Hopefully the shot will be taken before the end of the day.

I've also significantly updated the original post, and added the damage videos to make them easier to find.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Moonbogg » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:58 pm

That thing works great. Awesome power, good job.

Moonbogg
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: SpudFarm » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:49 am

Perfect! :D
I will try marble grapeshot as soon as I can, how did you wad it? I have big trouble getting a good/even pattern with buck shot. The best would be a canister round but I can't make one without a lathe.

Other then that, your valve looks very much like Galfisk's design. Did you look at his drawings? It's a genius and simple piston design.

If I could reach you from Norway I would probably push you towards buying the camera, it's very useful for troubleshooting projectiles and sabots ETC. Other then that they just make damn cool videos.

I probably won't be firing my hybrid to much before I get an American union for it. I really want to bring it up to 20x.

Good job again!

"Made in France"
- A spud gun insurance.
SpudFarm
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:24 pm

SpudFarm wrote:Other then that, your valve looks very much like Galfisk's design. Did you look at his drawings? It's a genius and simple piston design.

Do you have a link to his drawings? I haven't seen them, but I certainly would like to, as I have always been impressed by GalFisk's ingenuity.

I will try marble grapeshot as soon as I can, how did you wad it? I have big trouble getting a good/even pattern with buck shot. The best would be a canister round but I can't make one without a lathe.

The wadding consisted of simply 2 paper towel balls hammered into the barrel, one in front of the projectile, and one behind. The spread was decent, but it's rather cumbersome to setup for each shot, which is why I'm working on a canister shell type design right now.

If I could reach you from Norway...

I dream of the day when you, DYI and myself meet for a few days of designing, building, and shooting. It shall be glorious. :D

Anyway, I'm definitely looking into getting the camera as soon as possible. Should make the videos much more interesting.

Good luck with your 20x shot, and hopefully you get the marble grapeshot done soon. It will be great to see on high speed.

SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: SpudFarm » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:19 pm

here is the design drawing, I took myself the freedom of uploading it.

For the paper wadding, I have never had much luck with that in my hybrid. Seems like it's just not sturdy enough, and I am also afraid to jam the barrel and denting it since it was quite expensive.

It would be nice to arrange a meeting, three times the brainpower and funds have to bring nice results :P
It could be quite hard with my English though.

Thanks, I am working on getting a union that allows me to get to 20x at the moment. Those over here appears to have been designed to make spudders mad.

"Made in France"
- A spud gun insurance.
SpudFarm
Donating Member
Donating Member

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:35 pm

I took the liberty of modifying the drawing. A picture is worth 1,000 words.

Modified the 3 way valve to seal the chamber when the meter is filled and seal the inlet when the meter is emptied into the chamber.

Modified the piston for better flow.

Attachments
Hybrid.gif
Modified hybrid
Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:20 pm

SpudFarm wrote:here is the design drawing, I took myself the freedom of uploading it.

That's definitely very similar to what I've built. He's using vent holes and a piston that seals within a slide, which is at least as effective as my design, if not better. I also like the use of a 3 way ball valve to separate fueling and pressurizing functions. Hopefully he ends up getting this built.

For the paper wadding, I have never had much luck with that in my hybrid. Seems like it's just not sturdy enough, and I am also afraid to jam the barrel and denting it since it was quite expensive.

Paper wadding isn't very durable, but it has always worked fine for me with lightweight shot. However, a canister shell is definitely superior.

It would be nice to arrange a meeting, three times the brainpower and funds have to bring nice results :P
It could be quite hard with my English though.

Your written English is pretty good, so I don't think it would be too difficult.:P

Thanks, I am working on getting a union that allows me to get to 20x at the moment. Those over here appears to have been designed to make spudders mad.

I've had lots of issues with unions in the past, and most of them are fairly easy to solve, but then again I've never used one at 20x. A 3000psi forged steel union from McMaster should do you well.

SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: SpudFarm » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:50 pm

Galfisk has built this hybrid years ago, he just lost interest before he got it working properly. I think he fired it a few times at 3x.

Some kind of plastic can used for salt or something would be perfect if I could find one that fit's my barrel hood enough to use. I have made one that has a diameter to small for the barrel but I think I'll just use tape and a rag behind it.
It would be 500 lead BBs and 10 1/3" steel BB's

For the union, I am talking to Mobile_chernobyl about it. As far as I know McMaster only shipps withing the borders of the US. If I can get him to buy a 2" socket x socket union I could weld in my own pipe nipples to match the threads to my cannon.

Hope this isn't to off topic for you.

"Made in France"
- A spud gun insurance.
SpudFarm
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:47 pm

Yeah, it's starting to look a bit frightening.

SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: SpudFarm » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:18 pm

You are making good progress on this gun, I can't wait till you are completely done and satisfied with the perfomance!

I would really like to see a semi auto hybrid!

"Made in France"
- A spud gun insurance.
SpudFarm
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:38 pm

I'm close to being satisfied with this design. I've now added pressure gauges to the vent tank and pilot chamber, which will allow me to accurately fill the launcher with my air compressor, and the hose orientation has been changed around a bit. It's getting close to the cycling rate of a regular advanced combustion launcher, with nearly an order of magnitude greater muzzle energy than most of those designs.

Semi-auto is a long way off, unfortunately. It may be possible with only standard plumbing parts and inhuman levels of creativity, but I don't have the desire or funding to play around with such designs. Once I can regain machine shop access however, the semi-auto cycling gas exchange hybrid will become a reality.

SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: DYI » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:15 pm

I don't often comment on showcase threads, but this is a really impressive launcher. Probably the best that's been posted here in the time I've been back. What you've achieved is a rare thing indeed:

An innovative, ergonomic, handheld launcher which is energetic enough to be worth the effort of building. As "traditional" launchers go, this is right up there with Clide's GB-semi as one of the best.

The valve is ingenious, and the integration of the components is excellent. I can't suggest any improvements which would be doable with hand tools, although I doubt my own ability to construct even the current version with them. I look forward to seeing the finished version in operation.

Spudfiles' resident expert on all things that sail through the air at improbable speeds, trailing an incandescent wake of ionized air, dissociated polymers and metal oxides.
DYI
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: SpudFarm » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:06 pm

I agree very much with DYI. This cannon is the only one that made me consider building a smaller hybrid.
I think it might be built loosely around this design though with manometric metering.

The only improvement I can come up with that will be easily done is manometric metering and a rifle stock to mount it in.

I say it once again, good job!

"Made in France"
- A spud gun insurance.
SpudFarm
Donating Member
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Hybrid Cannon Database