Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 62 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 57 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

WIP: 1.5" Porting Handheld Piston Hybrid (DAMAGE VIDS)

Built a hybrid cannon? Then post it here! This section is for completed, finished cannons that you have built. Please include pictures and information.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: JDP12 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:00 pm

Not meaning to kick this up again, but any progress? This is incredibly useful and teaching for me... I was in the process of redoing my burst disk hybrid, but may have to go for piston instead now thanks to you.

I'm going to have to ask for some help in regards to a piston. I cannot get ABS around me, and my machining capabilities are extremely limited. I could turn a wood one, but I doubt that would hold up to the pressures necessary, and I don't want to use PVC. way too brittle.

Any advice would be superb. I leave for college next week and am planning an all-day build session to get this thing built and working Sunday.

JDP12
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:54 pm

I've been doing a bit of work on this launcher lately. Nothing major, just small design changes. I didn't think it was worth kicking the thread up again until I had more videos, but if you want pictures of the current launcher setup, I'll post a few.

Chamber overview. The main changes are a new HV ignition box with a remote momentary switch, integrated pilot fill setup, and a new pilot valve setup with better component integration and improved flow.

Closeup of the pilot setup. I'm a big fan of these braided stainless steel hoses. They have a threaded connection, and a rubber seal in each end. No leaks at 200PSI.

HV ignition box. Essentially, I ripped the high voltage circuitry out of a 12kV electronic BBQ igniter, wired up a remote power source, and soldered in a safety toggle switch and a momentary firing switch. It's much better than trying to mount the entire bulky unit in the chosen trigger location.

And here's a special picture for JSR:

Sorry for the poor quality of the pictures; I used my friend's camera, and the auto focus didn't want to play along.

EDIT:

I'm going to have to ask for some help in regards to a piston. I cannot get ABS around me, and my machining capabilities are extremely limited. I could turn a wood one, but I doubt that would hold up to the pressures necessary, and I don't want to use PVC. way too brittle.

I'm not actually using an ABS piston anymore. I switched to a steel one to allow the valve to handle higher pressures more effectively. It's built entirely from thread rod, various washers, and nuts. You should be able to find all the parts you need at any major hardware store. I had to improvise a bit, so given enough searching, you could probably find the parts to build a better one.

Any advice would be superb. I leave for college next week and am planning an all-day build session to get this thing built and working Sunday.

Think you'll have time to post pictures of the finished launcher? I'd like to see it.

Last edited by SpudBlaster15 on Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: JDP12 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:59 pm

Holy crap!! That just looks wicked. Love it. Any advice on a piston for me?

JDP12
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Gun Freak » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:01 pm

Lol love the pic for JSR 8) :D
Those pictures were actually very nice, don't know what you're talking about!
The gun looks really good! Probably in the top three hybrids on the site!

OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
Gun Freak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:03 pm

JDP12 wrote:Any advice on a piston for me?

I just saw your edit, and added a response to your question in my other reply above.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: JDP12 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:23 pm

Awesome thanks! THe threaded rod option was what I was considering, glad to see its working. Yea I'll be able to post-- I leave on the 14th. Hope to get some fiddly work done tomorrow/friday like leak testing the chamber and such so Sunday I can focus on the valve and getting that to seal and work properly as that will most likely be a b!tch. I'll start a thread tomorrow.

Thanks SB15

JDP12
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:55 pm

Damn, that thing is awesome.

That is all. :P

MrCrowley

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: JDP12 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:19 pm

Planning on a valve in 1.25" pipe, smaller than yours. Also plan on a simpler pilot air injection for now, similar to what you had at first just to keep it simple to build in a limited time.

Hijack over, sweet cannon! Thanks once again for all the advice.

JDP12
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:59 pm

*sigh*

At least you're not barefoot and there's no underwear on the floor :)

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Gun Freak » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:28 pm

SB15 why didn't you use stop nuts where those o-ring washers are?

OG Anti-Hybrid
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
Gun Freak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:20 pm

You mean nylon insert lock nuts? If so, I decided against it because the nylon inserts would make the nuts very time consuming and difficult to thread into place, and I intended to seal all of the washer/nut assemblies with JB weld anyway.

SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Gun Freak » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:55 pm

Ohh, I don't see the Jb in the pic. :tongue3:

OG Anti-Hybrid
Holy Shat!
Gun Freak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: JDP12 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:10 pm

That's cuz SB15 seems to make a point of damn good craftsmanship.. just look at his threads. Almost no excess teflon is exposed.

JDP12
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: SpudFarm » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:01 pm

Have to say it again, this gun is so damn nice..
But it do look overly complex, why don't you have a external propane meter?
The fittings and such looks good but I like to keep things simple to avoid confusion while fueling.

Also, that piston looks EXACTLY like the one I am going to use in my hybrid. Nice to get a confirmation that it will work :)

"Made in France"
- A spud gun insurance.
SpudFarm
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: JDP12 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:04 pm

I'm a big fan of onboard meters, and I think it looks bloody awesome. But thats just my opinion.

JDP12
Major General
Major General

PreviousNext

Return to Hybrid Cannon Database