Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 76 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 71 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

WIP: 1.5" Porting Handheld Piston Hybrid (DAMAGE VIDS)

Built a hybrid cannon? Then post it here! This section is for completed, finished cannons that you have built. Please include pictures and information.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:34 pm

SpudFarm wrote:But it do look overly complex, why don't you have a external propane meter?

As JDP12 said, having everything required to operate the launcher on board is a big plus. Fumbling with a meter to launcher connection between shots would severely cripple ROF, and I'm not a fan of carrying around additional parts in a separate container.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: ramses » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:55 pm

SpudBlaster15 wrote:
SpudFarm wrote:But it do look overly complex, why don't you have a external propane meter?

As JDP12 said, having everything required to operate the launcher on board is a big plus. Fumbling with a meter to launcher connection between shots would severely cripple ROF, and I'm not a fan of carrying around additional parts in a separate container.

I agree, external meters are a flaming PITA

POLAND_SPUD wrote:even if there was no link I'd know it's a bot because of female name :D
ramses
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: SpudFarm » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:05 pm

Hmm, I guess I will change my opinion once I make a cannon that can actually be held by one person.

But I think Spudblaster did a damn good job by making the meters astethic though.

"Made in France"
- A spud gun insurance.
SpudFarm
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:53 am

So I figured I'd post a small update for those who have been following the thread. No interesting videos yet, mostly as a result of a failure the launcher experienced when I decided to ramp up the mixes to 11x.

Unfortunately, there was no spectacular chamber explosion and violent decapitation/evisceration of yours truly. :lol: Instead, the piston slammed into the rubber bumper with a kinetic energy of several hundred Joules, causing the center axis to bend directly between the spools. Interestingly enough, the recoil of this shot caused the male quick connect adapter to be ejected from the launcher with sufficient force to embed itself nearly an inch into the dirt hill directly behind my firing position.

Anyway, this mishap necessitated the fabrication of a new, stronger piston design. Replacing the Grade 2 threaded rod is a Grade B7 unit of the same dimensions, and the 18/8 stainless steel nuts have been replaced with Grade 8 hex nuts, adding a whole lot of additional strength to the assembly. The area between the spools has also been sleeved with a coupling nut to further increase the stress handling capability of the most heavily loaded section of the piston.

I've also gone with a removable spool design, which makes spacing adjustment much easier, and vent valve sealing much less troublesome.

Perhaps the otherwise most notable addition is the return of the chamber fan to assist venting. The steel angle bracket frame is friction fit into a 3" reducing coupling, and holds the fan solidly in place. The fan itself is a high powered 60x37mm unit, which moves air nearly as quickly as my 92mm Vantec Tornado.

To control the fan and ignition circuit, I built a control box, which housing the fan circuitry and power supply, as well as the ignition system. A couple LEDs in parallel are used to indicate each function. The blue LED is illuminated when the fan circuit is on, and the red LED indicates that the ignition safety toggle switch has been moved to the armed position. The ignition circuit is completed by activating the remote momentary firing switch attached to the handle on the stock.

IMO, the best addition is the improved component integration in the stock area. It now has a dropped stock design similar to that of the original version, which allows for much easier target sighting, and improves the compactness and overall appearance of the launcher.

I'll try to get more video footage soon.

SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: POLAND_SPUD » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:53 am

spool design

Wait a second, are they washers ??
EDIT
Oh wait you explained it on the previous page
yeah I know, I know...... read the mo########### thread before you post
:D

Children are the future

unless we stop them now
POLAND_SPUD
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: SpudFarm » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:04 am

Good job! :shock:
This is what a millitary hybrid prototype would look like, it is so ergonomic and looks so good.
You stun me once again..

I really want more videos of this launcher, it deserves it's own thread with only pictures and videos.. I like this better then Lardas hybrid.

And the strengthening of the piston is very clever and simple. I am speechless.

"Made in France"
- A spud gun insurance.
SpudFarm
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: DYI » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:30 pm

This is what a millitary hybrid prototype would look like, it is so ergonomic and looks so good.

However, the military prototype would take years to develop, and cost several million dollars :lol:

Once again, excellent work SB15. You've invented a hybrid with ROF competitive with most handheld pneumatics, which is easy on the user, extremely well thought out, and similarly energetic to most rifles while not weighing a whole lot more. And you built it without even touching a lathe or mill.

Considering innovation, practicality and general impressiveness, I'd say this is the best build posted on Spudfiles all year. You've really raised the bar here.

Spudfiles' resident expert on all things that sail through the air at improbable speeds, trailing an incandescent wake of ionized air, dissociated polymers and metal oxides.
DYI
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:59 pm

Thanks for the compliments guys. This launcher ended up being the only summer project I actually managed to complete, so I'm happy that it turned out as well as it did.

I have a fairly substantial update to report soon, and I think DYI in particular will like it. :D

Hint: I had to dig through a few boxes to find my old Bernzomatic oxygen regulator...

Edit: Hm, interesting. So far the score is:

1 Shot
2 Blown ball valve seals :shock:

Clearly something needs to be done about that...

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:37 am

Double post, yeah.

I test fired my new oxygen metering system today, using 25.2% propane, 15PSIG oxygen, 30PSIA air, and 100PSIG pilot pressure.

The result was likely the loudest report I've ever created with a spudgun. The trigger response was instantaneous, and the pressure wave was sharp and substantial in magnitude. At first I thought the launcher had exploded, and well, it kinda did.

The rapid 600PSI pressure spike severely damaged my 1.5" ball valve vent, completely destroying both seals. The blowby into the barrel support launched debris into the fan, breaking the casing in 2 places.

I briefly pondered the possibility that DDT had occurred, but quickly dismissed it, as there was still a substantial quantity of nitrogen in the gas mixture.

The fan is now gone (Not required with oxygen metering onboard), and the ball valve vent has been replaced with a smaller and more robust version. The smaller cross sectional area should reduce the force on the valve seals, and hopefully allow it to stay together.

SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:51 pm

Triple post, but none of the pneubs (Haha!) on this forum look at hybrid showcase threads unless they're bumped for every update.

Photobucket is being a pain so I used the forum uploader for the first time ever.

Attachments
IMG_2456.JPG
IMG_2454.JPG
IMG_2453.JPG
IMG_2452.JPG
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:58 pm

This thing just keeps getting better and better. Any chances of some videos with the oxy/propane mix?

By the way, what is the full scale accuracy on the two gauges?

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: Lockednloaded » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:07 pm

That looks awesome, are your gauges rated for oxygen use? I've heard you can't use standard gauges.

I love lamp
Lockednloaded
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:43 pm

Any chances of some videos with the oxy/propane mix?

If the new vent valve holds up, then yes, definitely. I'm going to try for at least 5 shots tomorrow evening.

By the way, what is the full scale accuracy on the two gauges?

The main gauge (Chamber & fuel pressure) is +/-2% IIRC. The other one is a cheap gauge salvaged from an air compressor, and I haven't a clue what its rated accuracy is.

That looks awesome, are your gauges rated for oxygen use? I've heard you can't use standard gauges.

Standard gauges are only an issue with high pressure oxygen. This system won't be used at above 15PSIG, and it is designed primarily to enhance the O<sub>2</sub> content of the compressed air supply.

SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Gun Freak » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:06 pm

Looks like its getting too big to be handheld anymore but I suppose that helps deal with the recoil. Nice job, waiting for videos...

OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
Gun Freak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:23 pm

Has it got a record player yet? I won't be happy unless it can play my 33 rpm Rolling Stones vinyls while I'm shooting.

Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Hybrid Cannon Database