Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 69 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 66 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

TBMA-230 Oxy/Propylene Piston Hybrid

Built a hybrid cannon? Then post it here! This section is for completed, finished cannons that you have built. Please include pictures and information.
Sponsored 

What do you think?

AWESOME!
51%
Mildly interesting
6%
I'm scared
11%
I'm a pneub, go away hybrid supremacist
11%
Should have made a pengun instead
20%

Total votes : 35
  • Author
TBMA-230 Oxy/Propylene Piston Hybrid

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:31 pm

TBMA-230 - Thermobaric Mass Accelerator, 230in<sup>3</sup>

SpudFarm wrote:I really want more videos of this launcher, it deserves it's own thread with only pictures and videos..

As you wish...

This launcher is nearing completion, so I decided to start a new thread with all the up to date pictures and videos in the first post. It functions near flawlessly with compressed air as the oxidizer supply, but air/O<sub>2</sub> mixtures have been causing some issues. Hopefully the addition of more robust ball valves to the chamber volume isolation system has solved these issues.

Specifications

Launcher Configuration: Over/Under
Chamber: Galvanized steel/malleable iron construction, 2.067" inside diameter, ~25" length, 85in<sup>3</sup> volume
Barrel: Solid core ABS construction, 1.6" inside diameter, 72" length, 145in<sup>3</sup> volume
Valve: 1.6" porting piston valve with o-ring sealed steel piston and spool valve venting system
Loading: 2" Aluminum cam-lock fittings
Fueling Setup: Volumetric meter w/integrated air and oxygen fill ports (Air through meter design), 3000PSI rated steel meter isolation ball valve
Fuel: Onboard propylene cylinder
Oxidizer: Compressed air, onboard oxygen, or any combination thereof
Ignition: 12kV HV power supply with dual ignition safety switches and LED indicators, homemade 1/8" NPT spark plug
Venting: Pressurized air exhausting system w/3000PSI rated steel chamber ball valve
Mixes attempted: 5x - 11x air/propane, 14.7PSI O<sub>2</sub>/14.7PSI air/28.2% propylene
Estimated Performance: 3500ft-lbs energy, 800FPS for a 160g D cell round @ 6x air/propane; ~4000ft-lbs energy, >850FPS for the same round @ 14.7PSI O<sub>2</sub>/14.7PSI air/28.2% propylene

Videos

Firing a ~75g (Includes wadding) marble buckshot shell at a watermellon:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cljJSxDSrMk[/youtube]

Firing a nearly identical round at aluminum plate:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDSunqXnfv8[/youtube]

Hybrid Compilation Video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhHvxfDg-uw[/youtube]

New video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL9oNLsq8i8[/youtube]

EDIT: New pictures are up.

Attachments
IMG_2434.jpg
Piston face
IMG_2432.jpg
Piston w/vent spool removed
IMG_2433.jpg
Piston
IMG_2373.jpg
Inside the valve
HybridPics1 0011.jpg
HybridPics1 0022.jpg
HybridPics1 0033.jpg
PilotValve 001.jpg
Pilot Valve
PilotValve 002.jpg
Pilot Valve
Last edited by SpudBlaster15 on Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:45 am, edited 4 times in total.
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: FighterAce » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:07 pm

Man o man what would the sea shepards give to get their hands on this baby and whoop some japanese whaling @*$

FighterAce
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: Gun Freak » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:41 pm

FighterAce wrote:Man o man what would the sea shepards give to get their hands on this baby and whoop some japanese whaling @*$

AMEN! :occasion5:

@SB, glad you decided to make a new thread.

OG Anti-Hybrid
One man's trash is a true Spudder's treasure!
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
Gun Freak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: Mr.Sandman » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:56 pm

I'll be honest, I chose the pengun option :D. You should fire a cloud of 4.5 mm bbs or 6mm ball bearings at a wooden target. Im curious as to how much marbles spread at say 30 meters?

Yeah, it's that important.
Mr.Sandman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:59 pm

We really need a video of you firing this thing. What the hell is your piston face, by the way?

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: SpudFarm » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:10 pm

You stun me once again! When will this ever stop? :shock:

This is getting so FU**I*G good! You really need to get a EX-F1 and get some good videos of this launcer, the recoil would probably look great in high speed video.

You have taken a good idèa and turned it into a perfect one!
The next thing on my wish list is that you put some time into making effective projectiles. Something with properties, like penetration and ONLY penetration or velocity and ONLY velocity. Something with a purpose.

I would like to see a 1cm plate penetrated with a handheld launcer. I think you are perfectly able to do that with this launcer, even from some distance.
If you decide to try this, the camera angle should be so that you see the back of the plate and you shooting.

I'm sorry I spent little time on the forum, new school, new scedules..

Great job! :D

"Made in France"
- A spud gun insurance.
SpudFarm
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: ramses » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:53 pm

My EX-F1 is currently (hopefully) on it's way back from hong kong. Unfortunately, the model has been discontinued, so the price is increasing.

The gun is pretty epic, I can't wait to see damage pics.

POLAND_SPUD wrote:even if there was no link I'd know it's a bot because of female name :D
ramses
Major General
Major General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:58 pm

You should fire a cloud of 4.5 mm bbs or 6mm ball bearings at a wooden target. Im curious as to how much marbles spread at say 30 meters?

At 30 meters, the spread is a few feet in diameter. This would be useful in a zombie apocalypse, but it's not so great for target shooting.

I can do a cloud of .177" steel BBs. How does 300 BBs at 900FPS sound?

What the hell is your piston face, by the way?

It's a 2" diameter rubber furniture pad.

The next thing on my wish list is that you put some time into making effective projectiles. Something with properties, like penetration and ONLY penetration or velocity and ONLY velocity. Something with a purpose.

My thoughts exactly. I've spent my last couple physics classes dreaming up some hardened steel APFSDS round designs...

I would like to see a 1cm plate penetrated with a handheld launcer. I think you are perfectly able to do that with this launcer, even from some distance.

A certain member has challenged me to put a center punch through 3/8" steel plate with this launcher, so that will probably be attempted soon.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Moonbogg » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:41 am

Bravo! Not much to say other than this is a very impressive accomplishment. Good work.

Moonbogg
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:05 pm

Another fine day of shooting (With lots of video), another 2 blown ball valve seals. This time I didn't even need the oxygen tank to cause the failure.

Clearly standard ball valves are unsuitable for use on high mix hybrids. I'm currently attempting to locate some high pressure hydraulic valves.

SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Gun Freak » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:47 pm

That sucks, what a waste of money... but hydraulics are no cheaper, lol. Do you plan to upload the video tonight or tomorrow?

OG Anti-Hybrid
Golf Ball Cannon "Superna"M16 BBMGPengunHammer Valve Airsoft SniperHigh Pressure .22 Coax
Holy Shat!
Gun Freak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:33 pm

Gun Freak wrote:That sucks, what a waste of money...

Yeah, no kidding. Luckily, I had most of the valves laying around prior to building this, so I don't quite feel the pain of destroying $40 worth of parts in just a few days.

Do you plan to upload the video tonight or tomorrow?

Probably later tonight, I still have to do a bunch of editing. There are a total of 6 new clips, including a rather impressive muzzle flash from a 30PSI oxy/propane mix, which managed to partially extrude the steel ball in the 1.25" valve through the rear seal. :shock:

Also, I may have solved the ball valve failure issue. Upon closer examination, the smaller 1/2" valves were not undergoing seal or ball failure, but were instead developing slight leaks, probably as a result of seat degradation. I've replaced the vent valve with a 1/2" version, which is the smallest cross section I can use without restricting flow from the pressurized vent system, and heavily greased the seals with an ultra high temperature ceramic grease, which is rated to 2800F. The meter isolation valve has received the same treatment, and this should prevent the smaller valves from failing.

The smaller vent valve also allowed me to construct a steel barrel support, which is much more rigid than the previous ABS version.

SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Gun Freak » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:45 pm

In the long run you will save money just buying the better valve, because eventually the seal will wear out to the point where you need to buy another one right?

OG Anti-Hybrid
Holy Shat!
Gun Freak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: POLAND_SPUD » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:53 pm

Also, I may have solved the ball valve failure issue
wouldn''t a simple check valve help? better yet you could put some wire mesh and/or steel wool between the check valve and the BV to cool the gases

Last edited by POLAND_SPUD on Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Children are the future

unless we stop them now
POLAND_SPUD
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:38 pm

Gun Freak wrote:In the long run you will save money just buying the better valve, because eventually the seal will wear out to the point where you need to buy another one right?

In the long run, probably. However, I have lots of 1/2" ball valves laying around, and at this point, it doesn't make much sense to drop $50 on a pair of 7KPSI rated hydraulic ball valves if I can get the cheaper ones to hold up for at least a few dozen shots.

POLAND_SPUD wrote:wouldn''t a simple check valve help? better yet you could put some wire mess and/or steel wool between hte check valve and the bV to cool the gases

A check valve would likely help protect the meter isolation valve, but it would do nothing for the vent valve, which is the real issue. Also, most check valves are only rated to 200PSI or so, and high pressure units are nearly as expensive as the hydraulic BVs I'm considering.

SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Next

Return to Hybrid Cannon Database