Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 57 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 52 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

FEAR

Built a hybrid cannon? Then post it here! This section is for completed, finished cannons that you have built. Please include pictures and information.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:44 am

Here are the damge pics at a computer I shot one day, this was a 5x mix with a 10 foot 2" barrel and a potato.

I know they're spudguns an'all but why use potatoes when you could have used something more solid and got better penetration?

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: spanerman » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:07 am

i use potatoes mostly, they are cheap and seem inocent when asked about by law enforcement ;)

spanerman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Fnord » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:27 am

I know they're spudguns an'all but why use potatoes when you could have used something more solid and got better penetration?

Well, I guess a potato would transfer almost all the kinetic energy into the medium it was hitting(computer), whereas a cannonball would transfer a small portion of the energy into the medium and the rest would be applied to the building behind it (In the video).

Oh, and killjoy I used the stuff from whistling bottle rockets in the video. I think its potassium perchlorate or something... anyways it smells like a chlorate-based explosive when it burns.

Fnord
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:49 am

_Fnord wrote:Well, I guess a potato would transfer almost all the kinetic energy into the medium it was hitting(computer), whereas a cannonball would transfer a small portion of the energy into the medium and the rest would be applied to the building behind it (In the video).

You can always use a good backstop, personally I prefer to see an object that's been penetrated as opposed to "punched". Opinion, I guess.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: dongfang » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:57 pm

Hi,

I love that almost-total energy transfer, and also to nerdishly giggle at the idea that a potato did that....

Regards
Soren

dongfang
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Killjoy » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:17 pm

You can always use a good backstop, personally I prefer to see an object that's been penetrated as opposed to "punched". Opinion, I guess.

So do I, but with kids around, a building behind it, and the owner's office less then a 100 feet away, we couldn't risk penetrating the computer incase the projectile ricoched or hit the building, so I used a potato to be safe. And the kids parents seem to be happier with a "potato" cannon then with a "golfball/hard penetrating thing" cannon.
Oh, and killjoy I used the stuff from whistling bottle rockets in the video. I think its potassium perchlorate or something... anyways it smells like a chlorate-based explosive when it burns.

All ok wow... god i love how easy it easy to blow stuff up with easy to get stuff.

Stanford Class of 2012

"In the end our society will be defined not only by what we create, but what we refuse to destroy"- John Sawhill

Killjoy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:42 pm

Damn, I can't believe I haven't commented on this cannon before. This thing is just awesome. The damage done to the computers using a potato is immense. You should see how much damage a frozen potato will do to a computer. I imagine it would penetrate both sides completely.

_Fnord, how much whistle mix was in the device you used to blow up the computer?

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: rednecktatertosser » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:58 pm

HOW DID I MISS THAT BEHEMOTH??!?!?!??
great job on the construction, the control pannel is about the cleanset one i have ever seen. You clearly have great skills with this. keep up the good work.

"When you tell some body something, it depends on which part of these United States your standing in, as to how dumb you sound."
-Burt Reynolds as: Bo "Bandit" Darville
rednecktatertosser
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Fnord » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:19 pm

SB15: I didn't weight it, but I used enough to fill up a piece of 1.5" pvc pipe about 5" long. It literally tore the case framework in half.

Fnord
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: SpudFarm » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:13 pm

its an old topic but i just have to say something :o that is just soo fu(king bad ass :twisted: i cant explain it! ohh and if you still care about this topic you can tell if you have done some upgrade or something this cannon cant go past me without a comment :P i looked at it when it was posted but then i didn't care about hybrids so i didn't post but ohh i cant explain it!! awsome dude

SpudFarm
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Killjoy » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:52 am

^^haha thanks man. To tell you the truth I have designs and parts lists to upgrade this with a 4" by 40' barrel and a 3" porting piston valve. All I need now is a little funding, but it'll be a while before that comes through.

Stanford Class of 2012

"In the end our society will be defined not only by what we create, but what we refuse to destroy"- John Sawhill

Killjoy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: SpudFarm » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:33 pm

it sounds like it`s going to be an even biger beast :lol:

SpudFarm
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Sergeant Dotson » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:10 pm

That is a monster! My friend asked, "Can it kill you?" And I said, "That could probably blow your head off." LOL :sign3:

Sergeant Dotson
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread postAuthor: Killjoy » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:21 am

haha I have always wondered what golfballs at 1900 fps would do to flesh...
But yes I see no way this wouldn't kill you if you stood in front of the barrel unless it was a blank shot.

Stanford Class of 2012

Killjoy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:38 am

Killjoy wrote:But yes I see no way this wouldn't kill you if you stood in front of the barrel unless it was a blank shot.

Or it was me standing there... I am invincible!

Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Hybrid Cannon Database