Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 43 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 40 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

hybrid cartridges

Post questions and info about hybrid (compressed gas with fuel) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about fuels, ratios, ignition systems, build types, safety, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
hybrid cartridges

Unread postAuthor: carter » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:01 pm

ok now that i had have sorted out spark problems, i've started out with designs; playing with ratios and size ideas. while doing research on these using the old spudtech forums i came across this - http://www.spudfiles.com/spudtech_archi ... hp?t=15702
which got me thinking hard about a few problems with hybrids, actually with all guns. the charging. then the idea came pre-made chambers or cartridges.

what i am thinking is making a all in one cartridge. including ammo, sparkers, gas and burst disc.

how i was going to inter grate this into the gun is to make a rear loading cartridge housing. that is shut off using a gate at the rear to hold the cartridge in place. sealing the front of the cartridge isn't a problem as i will sleve it into the barrel and seal it most likely using o-rings.
the only thing that is bugging me is how i will allow the spark to the cartridge. my first thought came to me from a torch. how the battery touches the light housing allowing power to hit the light. mounting a system like this to the back or top. actually you could put this anywhere to allow power to run to the sparkers.

all i need to no is; will it work, what problems i could get and is there a way to better the plan?

cheers

At my lemonade stand I used to give the first glass away free and charge five dollars for the second glass. The refill contained the antidote

carter
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: rp181 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:34 pm

nice idea, for the ignition, i would try rocket motor igniters, that way there is no high voltage.

rp181
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: carter » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:42 pm

i'm in aus. so thats a problem we can't make rockets.
also the gun would be steel for safety so i have to factor in problems caused by this

At my lemonade stand I used to give the first glass away free and charge five dollars for the second glass. The refill contained the antidote

carter
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: Hotwired » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:19 am

I sketched up a hybrid cartridge system a whiles back, all it needed was two metal rings on the cartridge and two sparking probes inside.

Hybrid RPG

No it's not really a rpg :wink:

Hotwired
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: carter » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:08 am

cool idea but the problem still comes with the safe all steel construction. i'm stumped atm so i just need a few ides

carter
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:14 am

here's some experiments I had done with combustion cartridges, I managed to get it to eject succesfully but the project was shelved.

The idea for a hybrid cartridge is not new and has been proposed several times, this was my design but never got round to making it.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: carter » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:17 am

would cast epoxy be strong enough and seal well enough for it. thats pretty much the idea i had in my head. if you think it can seal well and not blow out for a 8 mix i will make a proto type cartridge.

carter
Corporal
Corporal

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:31 am

Proper epoxy done well should be more than enough to restrain the pressure.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: ALIHISGREAT » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:32 am

the epoxy holding the ammo in place would 'burst' at different pressures every time and be inconsistent... so surely a burst disc would be better although it would spoil the clean lines of the cartrage.

ALIHISGREAT
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:41 am

ALIHISGREAT wrote:surely a burst disc would be better although it would spoil the clean lines of the cartrage.

Well, I had this idea for a burst disk cartridge (not a hybrid though), it would require some machining to be done.

Actually, now that I've had it up to *indicates area well above head* here with reciprocating bolts, I might just give this idea some more consideration...

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: carter » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:41 am

used at the rear to house the wires though would it hold. mine will use a burst disk

carter
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: ALIHISGREAT » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:44 am

looks cool, i was gonna suggest you start up this idea again after your failure but you already seem to have thought of that.

p.s. woo i got a title :D

ALIHISGREAT
Major General
Major General

Return to Hybrid Cannon Discussion