Login    Register
User Information
Username:
Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 42 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 37 guests


Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

teflon tape???

Post questions and info about hybrid (compressed gas with fuel) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about fuels, ratios, ignition systems, build types, safety, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
    Message

Unread postAuthor: SEAKING9006 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:37 pm

Littlebro, that doesn't make sense. Of course it still blows air. You haven't stuck anything into the airflow, so theres no reason it shouldn't.
  • 0

Completed projects:
CA1 SMSS Basic Inline
CA3 PDAB Airburst Cannon

Current Project: Bolt action rifle (25x140mm + 1in shot)

SEAKING9006
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 734
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:20 pm
Location: Texas
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: littlebro05 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:43 pm

SEAKING9006 wrote:Littlebro, that doesn't make sense. Of course it still blows air. You haven't stuck anything into the airflow, so theres no reason it shouldn't.


Well sorry about being illiterate lol,

but check out this forum part so you'll know what i'm talking about,

http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/viewtop ... 716#195716

But yeah i was planning to connect the blowgun to the elbow tube (both 10mm internal diametre) of the air tank by inserting an internal tube (sliding a 8mm tube outside diametre)... I was planning to use O-ring's with epoxy but nothing would fit it. So i decided to ask if teflon tape (i referred to plumbers) would seal the blowgun connecting to the air tank.

And so I found this forum on "recent topics", if you read the replies they say that teflon is used only as a lube. Now i read here now it works as a sealant as well!... and about little bits and pieces I need to buy XS Now i'm confused :shock:
  • 0

It's Nerf or Nothing.

Don't start crying when I play this as my hobby, Paintball, Airsoft and Nerf are equally good hobbies, except you can play Nerf in public. Good day! Hmph!
User avatar
littlebro05
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Posts: 417
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:04 am
Reputation: 1

Unread postAuthor: SEAKING9006 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:48 pm

It's used to slide threads all the way together with some material in between the threads to offer some kind of sealing. It's used as and works as a sealer, but teflon traditionally acts as a solid-state lubricant. But yes, it seals between threads. But you can't make o-rings out of it. And you're better off replacing your bottle chamber with a PVC chamber. That way, you can put the schrader and blowgun attachments on a brass tee. You're really trying to do something that is bound to fail. If you tried to use o-rings, it would simply shoot off. Theres nothing holding it there. Get brass fittings that fit into your blowgun and fit those onto a tee. Put the schrader on one end and a PVC tank on the other. Attach the blowgun in the middle.
  • 0

Completed projects:
CA1 SMSS Basic Inline
CA3 PDAB Airburst Cannon

Current Project: Bolt action rifle (25x140mm + 1in shot)

SEAKING9006
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 734
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:20 pm
Location: Texas
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: littlebro05 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:53 pm

SEAKING9006 wrote: And you're better off replacing your bottle chamber with a PVC chamber. That way, you can put the schrader and blowgun attachments on a brass tee. You're really trying to do something that is bound to fail. If you tried to use o-rings, it would simply shoot off. Theres nothing holding it there. Get brass fittings that fit into your blowgun and fit those onto a tee. Put the schrader on one end and a PVC tank on the other. Attach the blowgun in the middle.


crap... lol...

err, well i was planning to epoxy it and the tape / o ring was just there to improve the seal of the pressured air so there's no way this will work?
  • 0

It's Nerf or Nothing.

Don't start crying when I play this as my hobby, Paintball, Airsoft and Nerf are equally good hobbies, except you can play Nerf in public. Good day! Hmph!
User avatar
littlebro05
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Posts: 417
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:04 am
Reputation: 1

Unread postAuthor: psycix » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:00 pm

The point that makes your threads seal when using teflon, is that because of the lubricating, the threads are pulled on much tighter, and thus seal of better.
Okay, now there may be a small effect of the teflon just "being between" that just fills up microscopic gaps and thus seals of better, but most of the sealing is caused by lubricating. Teflon does not seal.

If it did, we wouldn't need o-rings, but a few layers of teflon would do it. And sealing off a smooth pipe in a slip coupling with teflon is not going to seal.
  • 0

Till the day I'm dieing, I'll keep them spuddies flying, 'cause I can!

Spudfiles steam group, join!
User avatar
psycix
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 3684
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:12 am
Location: The Netherlands
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: rp181 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:04 pm

teflon is used as a seal commercially. In solenoid valves and transducers, they use teflon as the seal, with viton being the upgraded seal.
  • 0

User avatar
rp181
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
 
Posts: 1090
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:47 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: littlebro05 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:21 pm

SEAKING9006 wrote:You're really trying to do something that is bound to fail. If you tried to use o-rings, it would simply shoot off. Theres nothing holding it there. Get brass fittings that fit into your blowgun and fit those onto a tee. Put the schrader on one end and a PVC tank on the other. Attach the blowgun in the middle.


Haha!! Well I've prove some of you wrong with attaching my blowgun to the elbow piece in my previous picture with teflon. I got teflon yesterday and taped it very hard on to the connector tube (bic pen). Then I put the connector tube in the blowgun and the elbow. Well I used alot .... and i mean ALOT of epoxy. But guess what it seals!, I pumped it up to around 80 psi (thats my desired pressure cause I don't trust coke bottles) and no air leaks apparent!! Woo Hoo!!! I got about 7-8seconds of air from it... enough to fire 300rounds from my vortex.

Well you're probably right about it being more of a lube to help tighten stuff, but combining teflon and epoxy resin is great combination to seal off leaks with "smooth" inner tubes.
  • 0

It's Nerf or Nothing.

Don't start crying when I play this as my hobby, Paintball, Airsoft and Nerf are equally good hobbies, except you can play Nerf in public. Good day! Hmph!
User avatar
littlebro05
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Posts: 417
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:04 am
Reputation: 1

Sponsored

Sponsor
 


Unread postAuthor: frankrede » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:49 pm

littlebro05 wrote:
SEAKING9006 wrote:You're really trying to do something that is bound to fail. If you tried to use o-rings, it would simply shoot off. Theres nothing holding it there. Get brass fittings that fit into your blowgun and fit those onto a tee. Put the schrader on one end and a PVC tank on the other. Attach the blowgun in the middle.


Haha!! Well I've prove some of you wrong with attaching my blowgun to the elbow piece in my previous picture with teflon. I got teflon yesterday and taped it very hard on to the connector tube (bic pen). Then I put the connector tube in the blowgun and the elbow. Well I used alot .... and i mean ALOT of epoxy. But guess what it seals!, I pumped it up to around 80 psi (thats my desired pressure cause I don't trust coke bottles) and no air leaks apparent!! Woo Hoo!!! I got about 7-8seconds of air from it... enough to fire 300rounds from my vortex.

Well you're probably right about it being more of a lube to help tighten stuff, but combining teflon and epoxy resin is great combination to seal off leaks with "smooth" inner tubes.
plain epoxy would of worked jsut as well, if not better


Dumbass thinks he made a miracle
  • 0

Current project: Afghanistan deployment
User avatar
frankrede
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
 
Posts: 3220
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:47 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: littlebro05 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:11 pm

frankrede wrote:
littlebro05 wrote:
SEAKING9006 wrote:You're really trying to do something that is bound to fail. If you tried to use o-rings, it would simply shoot off. Theres nothing holding it there. Get brass fittings that fit into your blowgun and fit those onto a tee. Put the schrader on one end and a PVC tank on the other. Attach the blowgun in the middle.


Haha!! Well I've prove some of you wrong with attaching my blowgun to the elbow piece in my previous picture with teflon. I got teflon yesterday and taped it very hard on to the connector tube (bic pen). Then I put the connector tube in the blowgun and the elbow. Well I used alot .... and i mean ALOT of epoxy. But guess what it seals!, I pumped it up to around 80 psi (thats my desired pressure cause I don't trust coke bottles) and no air leaks apparent!! Woo Hoo!!! I got about 7-8seconds of air from it... enough to fire 300rounds from my vortex.

Well you're probably right about it being more of a lube to help tighten stuff, but combining teflon and epoxy resin is great combination to seal off leaks with "smooth" inner tubes.
plain epoxy would of worked jsut as well, if not better


Dumbass thinks he made a miracle


Lol please refrain from swearing, anyway... well ive' learnt my lesson from doing it without the teflon. Because when I did it before it could only hold like 40psi before it started to leak. With the teflon tape it limits "air pressure" meaning that smaller the volume area the less pressure that area has. It's the same with race cars... they make it more aerodynamic by making the bottom of the car (i don't know what it's called) almost touching the ground, hard to explain, i learnt it in physics. + there's always goign to be air bubbles in epoxy unless your super pro at diminishing them... air bottles create space, making the epoxy abit weaker.

but yeah teflon... I don't know what's going on anymore but it works for me 8)
  • 0

It's Nerf or Nothing.

Don't start crying when I play this as my hobby, Paintball, Airsoft and Nerf are equally good hobbies, except you can play Nerf in public. Good day! Hmph!
User avatar
littlebro05
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Posts: 417
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:04 am
Reputation: 1

Previous

Return to Hybrid Cannon Discussion

Who is online

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot]

Reputation System ©'