Login    Register
User Information
Username:
Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 53 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 49 guests


Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Hammer Couplings and Shim Stock

Post questions and info about hybrid (compressed gas with fuel) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about fuels, ratios, ignition systems, build types, safety, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
    Message

Hammer Couplings and Shim Stock

Unread postAuthor: biggsauce » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:38 pm

Well I caught the hybrid itch and I'm in the process of determining exactly which parts I need.

I'm looking at using either flanges or ahammer coupling instead of a union. I realize the flange route willresult in a slow reload time, but I'm not worried about that. Anyone had any experience with either of these options in respect to proper sealing with a burst disk?

Another idea i'm pursuing is stainless .001" shim stock. I have no idea of its burst pressure over a 1.5" diameter hole, but i'm shooting for 700psi burst. (i'll be hydrotesting the chamber to a minimum of 1500 psi and I'll also hydro the shims to see what I can get)


Anyone have any experience or thoughts on either of these options?
  • 0

User avatar
biggsauce
Captain
Captain
 
Posts: 338
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:42 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: potatoflinger » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:43 pm

Those hammer couplings look pretty expensive, I don't know what flanges would cost you but they probably aren't more than hammer couplings.

Also, in your post did you mean 7000 PSI instead of 700?
  • 0

It's hard to soar with eagles when you're working with turkeys.
User avatar
potatoflinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
 
Posts: 1136
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:26 pm
Location: Maryland
Reputation: 1

Unread postAuthor: SpudFarm » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:44 pm

i have thought as hel* on the flange for UPGBH10x
but it would be so poor reloading times that i went with a union.

a flange WILL seal, you got my word on it
  • 0

"Made in France"
- A spud gun insurance.
User avatar
SpudFarm
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 2563
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:39 am
Location: Norway Trondheim area
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: biggsauce » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:50 pm

potatoflinger wrote:Those hammer couplings look pretty expensive, I don't know what flanges would cost you but they probably aren't more than hammer couplings.

Also, in your post did you mean 7000 PSI instead of 700?


Hooo no, this will be a 10x air/propane hybrid. I dont think the peak combustion pressure would exceed 1200psi, I just want the disk to burst at 700psi

Also I may have acces to some hammer couplings for next to free, so it's still an option. Same with the flanges, chamber, valves, hoses etc... :D
  • 0

User avatar
biggsauce
Captain
Captain
 
Posts: 338
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:42 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: rednecktatertosser » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:51 pm

Those Hammer couplings dont seem to sell in sizes less than 6". The shim stock sounds like a good idea though, and I dont see why flanges wouldnt seal...
  • 0

"When you tell some body something, it depends on which part of these United States your standing in, as to how dumb you sound."
-Burt Reynolds as: Bo "Bandit" Darville
User avatar
rednecktatertosser
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 590
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 7:52 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: potatoflinger » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:52 pm

biggsauce wrote:
potatoflinger wrote:Those hammer couplings look pretty expensive, I don't know what flanges would cost you but they probably aren't more than hammer couplings.

Also, in your post did you mean 7000 PSI instead of 700?


Hooo no, this will be a 10x air/propane hybrid. I dont think the peak combustion pressure would exceed 1200psi, I just want the disk to burst at 700psi

Also I may have acces to some hammer couplings for next to free, so it's still an option. Same with the flanges, chamber, valves, hoses etc... :D

Oh, I thought you were talking about the chamber not the burst disk, never mind :oops:
  • 0

It's hard to soar with eagles when you're working with turkeys.
User avatar
potatoflinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
 
Posts: 1136
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:26 pm
Location: Maryland
Reputation: 1

Unread postAuthor: SpudFarm » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:08 pm

heck you are so interesting biggsauce :D
  • 0

"Made in France"
- A spud gun insurance.
User avatar
SpudFarm
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 2563
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:39 am
Location: Norway Trondheim area
Reputation: 0

Sponsored

Sponsor
 


Unread postAuthor: biggsauce » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:16 pm

SpudFarm wrote:heck you are so interesting biggsauce :D


:lol: :lol: I seem to get that a lot

I have acces to smaller diameter hammer couplings, this was just the easiest link with a picture I could find. I'll probably end up with the flanges though the more I think about it.

It'll be interesting testing the shim stock though. Its available in many different thicknesses so I'm hoping to possibly need just one or two layers of stock to make my disks. Should be easier to handle than dozens of layers of aluminum foil...
  • 0

User avatar
biggsauce
Captain
Captain
 
Posts: 338
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:42 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: starman » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:53 pm

Whoa baby those things are pricey! 6" is a lot large for burst disk usage. A 6" disk, burst pressure of 700 psi, those suckers would have to be mondo strong...that means a LOT!

I would keep your burst disk down to 2" or smaller...much more managable at that size.

biggsauce wrote:I have acces to smaller diameter hammer couplings, this was just the easiest link with a picture I could find. I'll probably end up with the flanges though the more I think about it.

It'll be interesting testing the shim stock though. Its available in many different thicknesses so I'm hoping to possibly need just one or two layers of stock to make my disks. Should be easier to handle than dozens of layers of aluminum foil...


Testing the material for burst strength will be a real challenge at those high pressures.
  • 0

User avatar
starman
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator
 
Posts: 3041
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:45 am
Location: Simpsonville, SC
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: biggsauce » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:59 pm

starman wrote:Whoa baby those things are pricey! 6" is a lot large for burst disk usage. A 6" disk, burst pressure of 700 psi, those suckers would have to be mondo strong...that means a LOT!

I would keep your burst disk down to 2" or smaller...much more managable at that size.

Testing the material for burst strength will be a real challenge at those high pressures.


Ah the link I've provided has caused some confusion. My apologies. That link was the first link I found on google that showed what a hammer coupling was. 2" will be optimal for my application, and although I do have access to small diameter couplings, I am most likely follwing the flange route.
  • 0

User avatar
biggsauce
Captain
Captain
 
Posts: 338
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:42 pm
Reputation: 0

Return to Hybrid Cannon Discussion

Who is online

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot]

Reputation System ©'