Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 74 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 70 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

HEEELLLLP! (ignition troubles)

Post questions and info about hybrid (compressed gas with fuel) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about fuels, ratios, ignition systems, build types, safety, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: DYI » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:47 pm

For a hybrid running at 20X maximum, you'd ideally use a 20 psi gauge for fueling. It really isn't economical to use one gauge for both fuel and air; two +/- 1% gauges can be had for $70 from McMaster, whereas a single digital gauge of sufficient accuracy to use for both fuel and oxidizer would cost several hundred. My first manometric meter used a 0-15psig +/- 1% gauge from McMaster (with 0.2psi graduations) and performed well from 2X to 20X. I kept two gauges for oxidizer, depending on whether I was using pure oxygen or air.

The only successful example that I've seen of a single gauge manometric meter is the one on HyGaC, and that gauge goes for just under $1k at current prices (0 - 5000psig, +/-0.02%, if I remember correctly).

I should have realized this issue earlier. If it isn't causing your problem, then it will cause one later. You either need two reasonably accurate gauges with suitable pressure ranges, or one extremely accurate one.

Spudfiles' resident expert on all things that sail through the air at improbable speeds, trailing an incandescent wake of ionized air, dissociated polymers and metal oxides.
DYI
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: randompkguy » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:50 am

I was planning on getting the two from mcmaster (f'in love that place :D despite the high prices) but i just got impatient, so i used what i had (I'm sure you know what that is like)

randompkguy
Corporal
Corporal

Previous

Return to Hybrid Cannon Discussion