Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 76 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 71 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, YaCy [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Fueling with pump

Post questions and info about hybrid (compressed gas with fuel) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about fuels, ratios, ignition systems, build types, safety, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: POLAND_SPUD » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:26 am

I have a 0.1 - 3.5bar regulator that I want to use for my experiments with hybrids. I think that the idea is acctually pretty good as you can adjust power on the spot.

Children are the future

unless we stop them now
POLAND_SPUD
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: SpudFarm » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:42 am

Copperboy wrote:(I'm waiting for some 0-1bar meters right now.. maybe I'll just go for burstdisk manometric with onboard pump as air source.. portable..mmmm.. :) )

If you are going to use a burst disk on a portable cannon I HIGHLY suggest using a cam lock instead of a union to hold it.
I have never seen one in Norway but I just found a PDF with every fitting you could possibly imagine up to 6" rated to 100-1000bars.

They also have some nice pneumatic equipment that can be used for your meter (Including a pretty high quality regulator) along with manometers ETC.

They also have hydraulic rated pipes to good sizes that can be used for a high mix handheld hybrid. I mention this since you asked me for part vendors, you might have heard about them but it can't harm to have a look :)

Edited by jrrdw, bad url removed.

Last edited by SpudFarm on Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Made in France"
- A spud gun insurance.
SpudFarm
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:29 am

In regards to a regulator for a 1X mix, a BBQ grill regulator is set for 11 inch water column of pressure. Natural gas furnace regulators take an input pressure of about 6 inch WC and regulate to 3 or 4 for the pilot and burner. Many of these regulators can be disassembled and the regulation spring "adjusted" for a 1X mix pressure. A water Manometer can be built with clear tubing to set the pressure.

Most 1X builders use a meter pipe instead and higher pressure because it is easier to find pressure gauges for higher pressure.

There is no reason a 1X hybrid with regulated gas delivery into the chamber would not work. The difficulty with a piston 1X hybrid is getting the piston to seal. An air leak will over fuel it.

A burst disk 1X hybrid should work fine with a modified BBQ pressure regulator.

Be sure to shut off the gas before firing. :shock:

Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: whoa044 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:35 pm

I think the only place where there should be mixed fuel and air is inside the combustion chamber. Anywhere else is dangerous. Just like having a premixed tank of oxy and acetylene. That would be exagerating it, but since the shock pump has a very small volume, and can contain some high pressures, I wouldn't be /too/ worried.

whoa044
Corporal
Corporal

Previous

Return to Hybrid Cannon Discussion