Login    Register
User Information
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Who is online

In total there are 56 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 52 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Cartridge help.

Post questions and info about hybrid (compressed gas with fuel) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about fuels, ratios, ignition systems, build types, safety, and anything else relevant.
  • Author

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:13 am

Zeus wrote:SB and others have got 300 yards and up with a combustion

Never without something more aerodynamic than standard spudgun projectiles, however.

My furthest shot with a spud was about 290 yards, and that required a muzzle velocity of ~700FPS, a moderate tailwind, and the optimal firing angle given by an older version of my range calculator. Under less controlled conditions, the maximum effective range of such a projectile is not likely to be much over 200 yards.

Given that a hollow shell filled with airsoft BBs or paintballs will have even poorer ballistic characteristics than a spud, I seriously doubt one can expect more than 100 - 150 yards from such a round unless it is extremely long and fin stabilized.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: cammyd32 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:13 am

I think that you should just fire a paint grenade of some kind, or possibly a strengthened water balloon filled with paint.
Therefore you would have the massive range that you require, and a kind of ammunition that wouldn't have to hit a person directly (the splash damage would be the killer here), which would increase its safety and minimum firing distance impressively. also if fired in an arc, it would be far more effective than just firing paintballs as it would almost certainly explode from the pressures the drop + the direct force of the cannon would give. :)

Unread postAuthor: pneumaticcannons » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:18 am

what about something like an airburst paintball grenade? that would be really cool because It would probly do the range due to the wight and you could time it to explode just a second or two before it was scheduled to hit the ground. The only issue would be if it fails to explode. It wouldn't be lethal but would hurt like hell.

Return to Hybrid Cannon Discussion