Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 51 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 47 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Possible large burst disk hybrid build(Update with video)

Post questions and info about hybrid (compressed gas with fuel) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about fuels, ratios, ignition systems, build types, safety, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Re: Possible large burst disk hybrid build(Update with video

Unread postAuthor: wdr0 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:33 pm

Hey, I did actually do that test, just did not get anything up because it was not quite as exciting as previous tests. The sphere was rather loose in the barel so did not seal as well and there fore had less energy. It did split the oak log it was fired in to. but only penetrated about 3". Currently I am working on getting hydraulic cylinders to add to the breach so that it can be easily opened and closed and the bolts will no longer be required. Eventually hydraulic elevation and possibly traverse are a possibility, and idealy a built in compressor with the whole thing on a trailer. Eseentialy the idea is to have the whole thing powered by an engine so no outside power is needed and have the movements mechanized as it really is a beat to lift all the parts back in line after it fires.

wdr0
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: wdr0 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:42 pm

Progress is being made, I got these two giant hydraulic cylinders for only $75 each and they look almost new. They will serve to both open and hold the flange where the burst disk is placed.

Attachments
image.jpg
these are the cylinders wrestled into the car, atleast 5ft long and over a hundred lbs.

wdr0
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: wdr0 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:25 am

I realize there may not be anyone who can answer but I'll ask any way. I have a question for those with metalworking experience/knowledge. I am considering attempting to build a piston valve for this cannon and was thinking I might use a section of a compressed gas cylinder (something like a 125 cf nitrogen cylinder)for the piston housing. What I'm wondering is if those cylinders are a reliably weldable alloy of steel? Also I am aware of the safety aspects of working with a cylinder that may have flamible residue or gases. I would appreciate any input, Thanks!

wdr0
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: matti » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:25 am

wdr0 wrote:I realize there may not be anyone who can answer but I'll ask any way. I have a question for those with metalworking experience/knowledge. I am considering attempting to build a piston valve for this cannon and was thinking I might use a section of a compressed gas cylinder (something like a 125 cf nitrogen cylinder)for the piston housing. What I'm wondering is if those cylinders are a reliably weldable alloy of steel? Also I am aware of the safety aspects of working with a cylinder that may have flamible residue or gases. I would appreciate any input, Thanks!

You can get hydraulic cylinder pipe from steel pipe sellers, same pipe that is used to manufacture the cylinders. That has very good roundness and surface quality also it's very good to weld. (Or you could cut a section of some used hydraulic cylinder)

I would not use gas bottle, they are made by forming from sheet metal and welding could stress it and also it would probably deform when welded.

matti
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: wdr0 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:37 am

That was my concern. Problem is there are no steel suppliers where I am, at least not without a trip. Cutting a portion from a hydro cylinder might be my best option if I can find a large enough one.

wdr0
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: amit chawla » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:04 am

where r u from??? i m working for steel supplier company....

amit chawla
Private
Private

Previous

Return to Hybrid Cannon Discussion