Login    Register
User Information
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Who is online

In total there are 67 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 62 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

A heavy 75x hybrid

Post questions and info about hybrid (compressed gas with fuel) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about fuels, ratios, ignition systems, build types, safety, and anything else relevant.
  • Author

Re: A heavy 75x hybrid

Unread postAuthor: Alex345 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:52 am

Jesus christ, this thing is gonna be awesome! You thinking of putting a muzzle brake on her? Unless you're gonna shoot APFSDS like rounds.

Unread postAuthor: Futterama » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:48 pm

Frozen wrote:Image

Were you going with this design after all?

Unread postAuthor: Frozen » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:16 am

I am not sure about a muzzle brake, I will see if I have enough shop hours available to make one.

I did go with that design with some modifications, the complete cross section of the cannon looks like this:

assembly.png (13.44 KiB) Viewed 233 times

The bolt holes are not in the right places in the section picture because I would have needed to take the section at different angles for each part but you get the idea. In the picture you can also see the new barrel locking mechanism that I designed yesterday, I will turn a groove on the barrel 3,5mm deep and 20mm wide and the put a ring on it that is split in two which locks the ring in the axial direction. Then a flange with bolt holes is slid over it preventing the two ring pieces from coming apart and allowing me to attach the barrel to the part on the left. This way I will have a possibility to change the barrel in the future in case it gets damaged without the need to machine a new part to weld it into. I did the simulations for barrel groove depth and I could have done a 5mm groove at which point the pressure of 700 bar would have ripped it apart. With a 3,5mm groove that pressure is somewhere in the 1000 bar range which is way above the maximum pressure of the cannon.

Return to Hybrid Cannon Discussion