Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 67 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 63 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, YaCy [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

New contest

The International Potato Launching Association Forum. Discussion about regional spud meets, competitions, etc. Country specific activities and info shall be kept in here as well.
Sponsored 

Do you want a freindly contest?

No
No votes
Yes!
100%

Total votes : 18
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: PCGUY » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:43 pm

Sounds like a good idea, it could be a 2008 model year contest :lol:

But really think up what you guys want to do, we can do it (or something like it). The last contest was cool but it would be boring to hold the exact same contest again. Maybe something like, most wicked looking cannon? I don't know...

As far as a prize, something is going to need to be donated here, I don't know what. Last time prize money did come out of my own pocket and we did see an increase in new members, however advertising dollars did not go up. In fact (I have only mentioned this to a few people) but advertising dollars are going down, way down. I mean way way down... to potentially *dangerous* levels if they keep dropping they way they are. I only have a few theories as to why...

Yes, I am the guy that owns & operates SpudFiles (along with our extremely helpful moderators).
PCGUY
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postAuthor: Pete Zaria » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:03 pm

We need to convince our members to turn off their adblocking software on SpudFiles. Maybe a main page announcement?

Peace,
Pete Zaria.

Pete Zaria

Unread postAuthor: Fnord » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:03 pm

Edit @ pete: I don't use adblockers on spudfiles, because the ads here aren't obnoxious "punch the monkey" style ads.

but advertising dollars are going down, way down.

Therein lies the problem. To get more ad revenue, you need more traffic, but many people here believe that if the community gets more attention, the media will eventually try to distort the cannon building world and portray us as evil uneducated communist teenagers.

The last contest was cool but it would be boring to hold the exact same contest again. Maybe something like, most wicked looking cannon? I don't know...

I guess that is a good idea. After making that combustion out of cardboard I really want to make a totally badass looking hybrid or something.

Fnord
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:39 pm

I have found a couple of good sites I might go back to later to buy from - one sells CO2 bulbs for a very good price, the other has some rare pneumatic components that are quite cheap there.

I use the Firefox adblocking add-on, but that only blocks things I specifically tell it to, and so far I've only used it on spudfiles for blocking annoying animated gifs, and really large sig images that get in the way of browsing.

@_Fnord: More traffic isn't a problem - in fact, a little more education out there would reduce accidents and "column inches" on spudders.
And I know the media are idiots, but uneducated and communist? I see a lot of education here, and not a lot of communist. Evil I can just about understand... because we could all clearly rise up as one and take over the world with our vegetable munitions.

The media would destroy spudding for ratings, but unless they have something that will grab the public's attention, they won't run a story.

Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: Fnord » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:53 pm

And I know the media are idiots, but uneducated and communist? I see a lot of education here, and not a lot of communist. Evil I can just about understand... because we could all clearly rise up as one and take over the world with our vegetable munitions.

(Just run your sarcasm detector over that part of my message)

But if they actually DID try to, it wouldn't surprise me.

Fnord
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: TwitchTheAussie » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:05 pm

To arms fellow spudders. The Chinese communists are ammasing. :lol: . Jokes but seriously we cant use gift cards etc as prizes. Why not a custom title or heaps of spud bux to waste on the pokies :lol:

Raise your horns if you love metal.
spudgunning is like sex, once you've tasted, you can't wait til next time.
-
CpTn_lAw
TwitchTheAussie
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: )DEMON( » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:09 pm

Okay, so why don't we stick with my idea? The most innovative cannon wins.

Forever dreaming...
)DEMON(
Major General
Major General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: TwitchTheAussie » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:13 pm

Im for that. Let the best one win.

Raise your horns if you love metal.
spudgunning is like sex, once you've tasted, you can't wait til next time.
-
CpTn_lAw
TwitchTheAussie
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: PCGUY » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:16 pm

True but how many new amazing innovative cannons can we come up with within a few months time from the last contest?

Yes, I am the guy that owns & operates SpudFiles (along with our extremely helpful moderators).
PCGUY
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postAuthor: ALIHISGREAT » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:45 pm

most wicked looking cannon?
sounds good to me, i think it will be better than a 'the most innovative cannon wins' contest.

ALIHISGREAT
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: )DEMON( » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:59 pm

PCGUY wrote:True but how many new amazing innovative cannons can we come up with within a few months time from the last contest?

Well we will have to wait and see, won't we :D I will have at least two, which I have been designing for months.

It doesn't really matter actually, if you think about it, the most innovative,good looking, cool cannons usually get the most votes anyway, like Jacks pen gun and clide's golfball semi-auto. I think there was a good thing going with the last contest and it was well set out and planned. Lets just redo it.

Forever dreaming...
)DEMON(
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: iknowmy3tables » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:47 pm

for a lot of people this may just be motivation like in my case slow progress has really discouraged me I haven't worked on my gun in a while

iknowmy3tables
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: pyromaniac » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:03 pm

iknowmy3tables wrote:for a lot of people this may just be motivation like in my case slow progress has really discouraged me I haven't worked on my gun in a while

I agree i worked on my gun last weekend. i hadnt worked on it for two weeks.

:pottytrain3:
pyromaniac
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Hailfire753 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:13 pm

You know, I have been itchin' for a contest for a while now, but I don't think I would be able to make a cannon by the end of the year. With winter coming in the USA, it will be tough to make and test any PVC guns. I would hate to delay longer, but I think a good deadline would be the beginning of summer!

Also, I think we need more than one catagory. New ideas are hard to think up, as so much has already been innovated. I still wouldn't mind another innovation contest though.

PCGUY wrote:But really think up what you guys want to do, we can do it (or something like it). The last contest was cool but it would be boring to hold the exact same contest again. Maybe something like, most wicked looking cannon? I don't know...

I would love to have a contest like this. It would fit my upcoming cannon perfectly, and size will not really matter.

Anywho, I'm in!!

UPDATED MARCH '08
field-legal paintball semi
Hailfire753
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: iknowmy3tables » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:30 pm

keep your gun indoors unless its really that huge, but most guns with a lot of ingenuity aren't that big

iknowmy3tables
Major General
Major General

PreviousNext

Return to IPLA Discussion