Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 43 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 39 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

copper guns

Post about things you have launched or thought about launching. Also post about various materials used for building cannons. No posts about explosive projectiles!
Sponsored 
  • Author
copper guns

Unread postAuthor: trae08 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:33 pm

hi im designing a new copper gun and i have a few questions. yes i searched the wiki but didnt find what i was looking for.

anyway im making a copper gun with a barrell sealing t valve all copper. my questions are,

what are all the types of copper? ive read about type m type l on some posts here but what are they for?

whats the best to join copper fittings? solder or the copper epoxy stuff?

and where would i get 2 inch copper fittings?

thanks in advance and someone with copper knowledge should make a how to on all the types and stuff...

Marvin the Martian: Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!

Marvin the Martian: The Earth? Oh, the Earth will be gone in just a few seconds.

PCGUY wrote:Congrats, your the first donating member I have had to ban.
trae08
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: frankrede » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:35 pm

I heard that the copper epoxy paste works just as well, but I have never used it so I would ask a plumber

Current project: Afghanistan deployment
frankrede
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:51 pm

The "type" written on the pipe is a measure of wall thickness. Type K has the thickest walls, followed by Type L, then Type M.

Any decent epoxy will effectively join copper pipes so long as the surfaces are properly prepared. A joint made with standard epoxy will hold pressures in excess of 300psi. The copper epoxy found on hardware store shelves will not work any more effectively than standard epoxy.

2" copper fittings are fairly rare and VERY expensive. You might be able to find them at a plumbing supply store. I am fairly certain no standard hardware stores sell such large sizes.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: trae08 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:03 am

about what kinda of pressure would type k copper be able to handle?

Marvin the Martian: Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!

Marvin the Martian: The Earth? Oh, the Earth will be gone in just a few seconds.

trae08
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Hotwired » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:49 am

The lowest operating pressures I've seen for copper pipe is for metric plumbing pipe.

Even then the largest common pipe - 54mm diameter - has a working pressure of 392psi. The burst pressure is a lot higher.

Imperial pipe has higher pressure ratings.

Hotwired
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: Infernal Maveric » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:34 pm

I Don't know what the burst preasure or copper pipe is, but I have filled my copper guns up to 400PSI one many occasions, and nothing happened.

I prefer soldering the pipe rather than epoxy as in my eyes its safer, because it joins the metals together, I know epoxy does too, but its glue, but meh,

Infernal Maveric
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: trae08 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:45 pm

another question. i need a estimate on how much 2 inch type dwv pipe can hold. so anyone who's built a copper gun could you help me out? im not looking for the exact burst pressure just an idea...

and what would be the coolest looking copper gun? inline, over an under, coaxial etc.etc...

edit: i think im going to go with inline. ill use a brass valve with a modded diaphragm and blowgun.

Last edited by trae08 on Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trae08
Donating Member
Donating Member

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: spudgunnerwryyyyy » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:53 pm

Ok on the subject of Epoxy. It is not really a glue. The bond epoxy make is much stronger than any "Glue".

spudgunnerwryyyyy
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Return to Construction Materials/Ammo Discussion